MKI and MKIV differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikem2

Single-Sixer
Checking on the differences of a MKI and MKIV Target model, likely have not included all. Both are great Rugers. The MKI is more collectible, especially if in new condition.

MKI
Steel frame
Silver trigger (adjustable)
Walnut grips, right thumb rise
No bolt hold open after last round
Adjustable rear sight
No magazine disconnect

MKIV
Alloy frame
PlastIc grips
Bolt hold open after last round
Adjustable rear sight
Magazine disconnect

Which model is more accurate?

jimd441

Blackhawk
I was thinking that the frame on the target model is a steel alloy. I just checked my Mark IV Target and the frame is ferromagnetic, but I have no idea exactly what its composition is. Does anyone know what stainless formulation Ruger is using?

Jim

NikA

Buckeye
Typical gun stainless is 416R, which is ferritic and therefore magnetic.

The exception would be something that is required to be high strength, which might be something like 17-4PH for frames or one of the advanced Carpenter alloys for cylinders.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Accuracy is on par between the two. The main advantage to the Mark IV is the takedown button. It can be cleaned in about 15 seconds, the top comes off that quickly and you run a brush or patch.

Magazine release is also easier on the Mark IV. It's a simple button like a 1911 where you have to push the bottom of the frame to remove magazines on the Mark I. No big difference is you are just shooting paper targets but for those now shooting steel sports having a faster reload is important.

mikem2

Single-Sixer
Noted, thanks for the info. Mark IV with the takedown button, the easy button Is a plus. The weight of the Mark I is distinctly heavier compared to the Mark I.

Only issue on the Mark IV Standard I have, so far is the Receiver Frame screw on the frame where the barrel connects/pivots worked loose.

Last edited:

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I've got a Mk IV and the takedown button makes cleaning a breeze. Accuracy is there too.

Latest posts