MK IV Uppers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quick Draw

Bearcat
I recently bought a MK IV 5.5"target model. Thinking of adding several uppers, 7"or 10" hunters. And maybe a Volquartsen tactical with a 3" barrel for a suppressor host. I did not realize each upper must be registered as a pistol with accompanying FFL fees and checks. All my other pistols have serial numbers on the frame. I can buy any upper for my AR pistol lower with no problem as again the serial number is on the lower. Just wished Ruger would've put the serial number on the lower frame instead of the upper. OK rant over.

NikA

Buckeye
Ruger doesn't have any say in it, federal law and the alphabet agencies have decided which part(s) must go through an FFL. The AR-15 lower receiver was likely mis-classified (all other split semi-auto rifles that come to mind are classified such that the upper is the receiver) which is leading to a not insignificant amount of rulemaking headache right now.

never was a problem or issue over all these years for us, the receiver, or the upper whatever YOU want to call it, if it has the "chamber", or in the case of a revolver, held the "cylinder" it is the NUMBERED , recordable part after the 1968 GCA. the grips frames ,etc are just that "frames and parts".....
yes going way back ,often firearms were NOT numbered, especially long guns of cheaper made vintage, the "good " companies marked their stuff ,even matching the numbers to all the parts...........:cool::rolleyes:;)

Latest posts