Mk IV Case liner

Help Support Ruger Forum:

plinker49

Bearcat
I recently bought a new Mk IV 22/45 and while I like the gun, I'm not impressed with the case liner. It's rather flimsy, thin, shaped plastic and does not accommodate any changes to the pistol. Namely, I've added a optical sight and now I can no longer put the pistol into tthat case. I'm looking at either some egg-crate foam or pluck-n-pull foam as a replacement. Anyone else have another suggestion or similar experience?

been pulling those plastic liners out ever since my neighbor s been getting those cases on line and have used up about all the foam /egg crate liner material pain in the butt. I sell the liners at the gun shows for parts bin trays for $1 keep your parts together on the bench or kitchen table, bubba just loves them.......;)

forget what the phrase is for "the mother of invention....":unsure:

Remember plastic and vinyl cases are NOT intended for 'long term storage'..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
The boxes guns come in aren't ( to me ) designed for storage.
Lots better options are out there; both for security and care of the gun.

plinker49

Bearcat
The boxes guns come in aren't ( to me ) designed for storage.
Lots better options are out there; both for security and care of the gun.
I agree about the "boxes", however, the Mk IV comes in a plastic carrying case rather than a cardboard box. All it needs is some foam in place of the plastic insert to make it effectively the same as a case you'd buy off the shelf.

hittman

Staff member
Opinions vary on foam …. Do whatever works best for you. Here's what I was taught about storage; long or short term.

First, let's look at a few things to NOT do
  1. Do not store your guns in gun cases or pistol rugs. The linings are actually quite absorbent and will tend to pull moisture from the air into the material and literally surround your gun with moisture.
  2. Do not store your guns in the original cardboard or plastic box. Again, cardboard will absorb moisture as will gun boxes with soft or formed foam cutouts. Best to keep the box elsewhere for transport to the range or for use when selling your gun at a later date.
  3. Do not store your guns in holsters. Whether nylon or leather or Kydex, it's best to store your handguns in a rack in your safe. Again, we don't want anyway for moisture to surround our guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've never felt that the original boxes were designed for everyday storage or transport back & forth to a range.
As noted,, cardboard will quickly deteriorate. Plastic or foam types for storage can wreak havoc on a guns finish due to moisture.

I have what I call "transport cases." I've even tried the "pluck & fit" types,, yet,, due to always having different guns to transport,, I gave up on that. Normal gun cases, with egg crate, for transport. At home, in the safe, exposed to the slightly warm, temp controlled environment to assist in keeping the guns well cared for. A dehumidifying rod is "Golden!" (Pun intended.)

So, buy a good quality, solid sided, egg crate foam, gun transport case. They are several that are fairly inexpensive. Then while at home,, lock it in the safe.
You do have a gun safe,,, right???

woodsy

Blackhawk
In my own personal experience, if you obtain any plastic foam, make SURE that it is polyurethane, because otherwise it may disintegrate over time all by itself. The "other" foams, invented and used decades ago (and some still available) were not designed for long-term life. The simple components of the air, even without oil, etc., simply cause oxidation in the older-design foams.

plinker49

Bearcat
I wonder if you could heat up the sight area of the insert and form a bump to accommodate the sight.
Might be worth a try. It's little more than a thin plastic shell so either melting or just cutting out a section might work. I only need the case when transporting to-from the range, anyway so if I were to trash it completely that would be no big loss.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I transport my pistols to the range in a plain, old business briefcase that I padded with some kind of mattress foam. It holds them quite firmly and, if I desire more holding power, I just put them in socks before I put them in my briefcase (which is 'lockable').

J.

Latest posts