Mk III trigger re-set. Update - not quite resolved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

orchemo

Single-Sixer
I have a Mk III that I am having problems with. The trigger fails to reset several times when firing a magazine. If I release trigger a second time, it will mostly reset.

It is a stainless frame with a TacSol barrel.

Have take the lower part twice and had someone else do once also and the problem continues. Ruger won't address because of the TacSol upper.

Ideas or gunsmith recommendations.

Thanks

orchemo

Single-Sixer
Took everything apart. Smoothed the inside of the frame by the trigger bar, smoothed the trigger bar, our back together and all seems to work.

orchemo

Single-Sixer
Took pistol to the range today. First couple mags ran fine, then started having problems with the trigger not resetting. Maybe once every other magazine (was less than before but still....) but many times, simply repulsing the trigger did Not work.

Pistol has a vorquartsen trigger installed (I bought it this way).

Thinking about taking the mag disconnect out, but I should not have to do that to get it to run.

The trigger bar and inside of frame seem smooth. Maybe a weak spring on the trigger?

Other ideas?

orchemo

Single-Sixer
That is my thought, but how does one resolve it? Seems like the bar rubs against the frame, shouldn't there be a spacer?

orchemo

Single-Sixer
I have two MkIII pistols. Changed the uppers around. The one lower with issues still has issues. Will send back for warranty review

Johnnu2

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
SGW Gunsmith said:
Back the pre travel screw out a quarter turn until the trigger begins to reset. Did you use thread locker on that trigger screw?

this^

YES..... BACK OUT THE PRE-TRAVEL SCREW.... and keep backing it out until your malfunction goes away

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
orchemo said:
I have two MkIII pistols. Changed the uppers around. The one lower with issues still has issues. Will send back for warranty review

Warranty review? And you have a Volquartsen trigger in that pistol? Hope that works out for you.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Fox Mike said:
I have Volquartzen adjustable triggers in both of my MKIIIs. It took a lot of adjusting to get them working properly. Well worth the time and effort though.

It is, and if done properly, the settings will not change. I use the same technique on pre and over-travel screws for the Ruger Mark pistols as I do for 1911 over-travel screws:
NDXrn8xl.jpg

Clean the threads, both internal and external with a quick spray of "Automotive Brake and Parts Cleaner" to remove any residual oils in the root of those threads. Oil in the threads root will corrupt the holding ability of whatever thread-locker you use. I prefer a real thread-locker, with Loctite #242 blue. I don't use the #222 Purple, because it's too weak and I have found that the #242 blue is a serviceable type whereby you can you hand tools. Fingernail polish has a very different purpose and intent.
I'll then use this small channel lock pliers to put a slight upset (tiny flat spot) on the thread crowns. What this does is cause the screw to turn a bit more tightly, but better yet, the screw will stay in place while the thread-locker sets up. Anything can be overdone, and so it is with creating a tiny flat spot on the set screw threads.