MK III 678G Government Target help?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
Once again, I'm copying from my .net and posting to this .com. Hi guys. I just acquired a perfect condition MK III Government Target Model MKIII678G. It was in a trade and I pretty much got it for a value of $200. Guy said he got it a few years back from a buddy and he never really shot it much. I'm a fan of the MKII (2 i's) and I figured that's what he meant. I started looking into it and I find that the MKIII (3 i's) in that exact model, Government Target Model 678G are actually pretty rare. So I'm here looking for advice. I'm not a purist. As I read more and more on forums like this one and rimfirecentral, I see only a little bit about this exact gun and people seem to think they're pretty rare... as in less than 200 made rare. The serial number is 227-04686. I emailed the Ruger Collector's Association to see if I could find out more about the rarity of the gun and haven't heard back yet, but that was just earlier today. I do quite a bit on gunbroker so I thought about listing it, but don't think that would be the best medium to get this gun into the right person's hands. If it's not a big deal, I'll just keep it and shoot it. If it is actually pretty rare, I'd rather get it to someone who would appreciate this and have it be a safe queen or occasional shooter or whatever. Can't figure out the URL stuff for pics yet but will keep trying. It came with 4 mags... Please offer your advice as I'm a little out of my element here. As stated in my intro post, thanks in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Have a bit of patience,, as we do have a few MK series collectors around. It may take them a bit of time to find this thread.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
JudahBenHur said:
Once again, I'm copying from my .net and posting to this .com. Hi guys. I just acquired a perfect condition MK III Government Target Model MKIII678G. It was in a trade and I pretty much got it for a value of $200. Guy said he got it a few years back from a buddy and he never really shot it much. I'm a fan of the MKII (2 i's) and I figured that's what he meant. I started looking into it and I find that the MKIII (3 i's) in that exact model, Government Target Model 678G are actually pretty rare. So I'm here looking for advice. I'm not a purist. As I read more and more on forums like this one and rimfirecentral, I see only a little bit about this exact gun and people seem to think they're pretty rare... as in less than 200 made rare. The serial number is 227-04686. I emailed the Ruger Collector's Association to see if I could find out more about the rarity of the gun and haven't heard back yet, but that was just earlier today. I do quite a bit on gunbroker so I thought about listing it, but don't think that would be the best medium to get this gun into the right person's hands. If it's not a big deal, I'll just keep it and shoot it. If it is actually pretty rare, I'd rather get it to someone who would appreciate this and have it be a safe queen or occasional shooter or whatever. Can't figure out the URL stuff for pics yet but will keep trying. It came with 4 mags... Please offer your advice as I'm a little out of my element here. As stated in my intro post, thanks in advance.

They are indeed quite rare and there's very little published information on that particular model, or version. Chet's Reference has an early Mark III 678G listed as serial #227-04601, so we know for sure that there was at least 68 of those pistols that were produced.

It would be interesting to read if that Mark III version was ever produced in stainless steel?

chet15

Hawkeye
After adding your gun to the list, here's the updated info I have on the MKIII678G...

Known MKIII678G s/n's = 227-04601, 227-04660, 227-04686, 227-04698, 227-06915, 227-06921, 227-06922 and 227-06937

Every time a new sighting of this model appears, it has always fallen within these two serial number blocks.
Taking into consideration the high and low of each serial number block, there could be as few as 121.
It is curious that of the first block, there are four guns reported over a span of 98 serial numbers.
And of the second block there are four guns reported over a span of 23 serial numbers.
Just using those averages, it would seem that there are no more than 200 of this model.

As for whether a KMKIII678G was produced, that's entirely possible! There are enough sharp eyed Mark III enthusiasts out there though, to not have one reported by now, if there are any it is likely that there were a lot less of those produced.

Chet15

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
Wow. That's great info. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with this thing. I will try and post some pictures tonight. Thanks a lot for all the info guys.

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
I'm sure this has been covered... but I cannot figure out how to post pics on here. I have them on rugerforum.net, but I can't figure out the Img "code" thing on here. Anyone have a fast tip on how to do that?

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for coming here and for sharing about your gun.

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
Thank you all for the help. I think I'm going to list it on gunbroker this evening, and have the auction end next sunday evening. I have no idea what reserve to put on it. I don't want to be unrealistic, but I don't want to get hosed either... if it is that rare.

hittman

Staff member
How about deciding what it'll take to buy it and offer it in the Classified Section here?

The gun market is soft all over ...... your best captive audience of people really into Rugers may be right here.

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
Hittman, I just put it on gunbroker... then saw your post just now. Yes, the gun market is very soft right now. But I'm hoping maybe I can find the right people (people who have always wanted this model) and get a dialogue with them a bit and steer them to the auction. I don't want to break any forum rules though. No direct links to the gunbroker auction on here, correct? It's the only one on gunbroker, so it's not hard to find.

troutman

Bearcat
Serial number 225-12148 is a stainless model. Model number 00185 KMK678G. Very interested , never knew it was this rare just saw it sitting in a shop and thought it would match my blued Mk 2. Picked it up about 4 years ago haven't shot it yet. Wife asked me to pack the MK 2 we are going to our camp for our 40th anniversary and she has cdlaimed it. She asked me what I had to shoot against her so I pulled it out to take today and saw this post. I am not vey computer literate so I will try to get pix up for you guys to see. Wont be till next week sometime.

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
Mike GunBroker auction for this gun ends tomorrow evening. If it does not sell and hit my reserve, I think I'm just going to keep it. There's part of me that really just wants to keep it. I haven't shot it, but it feels awesome in the hands. I'm very torn right now. Will see how stuff turns out tomorrow I guess.

JudahBenHur

Bearcat
I don't think they made a stainless MK3 Government Target... but some of the guys on here would be able to speak on that better than me.

chet15

Hawkeye
JudahBenHur said:
I don't think they made a stainless MK3 Government Target... but some of the guys on here would be able to speak on that better than me.

If they did, the odds are it would be a lot rarer than the blue MK3 Government. With 8 known of a model that very well could have well under 200 made, and to not hear of a single stainless MK3 Gov't....well....lets just say if you see one, don't come on to RF and ask if $400 is a good deal.
Chet15