Mk II sight suggestions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Vindic8

Bearcat
I purchased a used Mk II yesterday and took it shooting today. It shoots very reliably but I find the black on black sights tough to use after getting spoiled with the big bright white dot sights on my other handguns.

I am hoping some of you who are more experienced with the Ruger 22s can steer me in the right direction with some suggestion on sights. It is a tapered barrel. I was thinking about these maybe: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=36195/sku/Fits_Ruger_MK_II_678__Adjustable

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
The tapered barrels have the fixed sights,, and as such,, when you start changing the rear right to an adjustable one,, the height differences can cause accuracy issues. i've seen a few posts around here with info on a rear adjustable sight that will work for the tapered barrels,, but I've never bothered to look into them,, as I have several other guns that already have them.
But,, an easy "fix" would be to paint the front post with white fingernail polish,, and if that doesn't do it for you, add a flouresent orange over the white & it should stand out quite well.
Just a cheap alternative. I'm sure some others who have done the changes will come along & chime in.

edlmann

Blackhawk
contender":3va0hy68 said:
The tapered barrels have the fixed sights . . .

Not all of them:

10106.jpg

HammerMTB

Bearcat
I put a Red Dot on mine, well, OK, it has both red and green dots.
Works well for my old eyes!
And is very fast in Speed Steel comps :D

Ripsaw

Bearcat
hittman":26d9kpcj said:
That's the MKII I have (pictured above). Fixed my problem with some orange model car paint on the front sight. Only painted the top half and it works great.

That would have been my suggestion.

Some, including myself, prefer the black target profile. Some os the guys in the indoor league color their front posts. Two have the tritium sights.

Ripsaw

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I found some sight paint at Ace Hardware that provides white (primarily as an undercoat) and florescent green or red (white and one green or red per package). It was just under $10 and does a VERY nice job.

I put a single light coat on the rear sight. That produces a gray horizontal stripe at the top. I then followed instructions and put two coats of white, waited for each to dry, and then the coat of green.

REALLY works well. The gray shows up equally well against a black or white background. The florescent green stands out almost as well during the day as Meprolight do in the darkness. - - - And $10 doesn't hurt near as much as new sights. :D