MK II feed problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DeDuBe

Bearcat
I picked up a use a MK II this winter and took it to the range today. I never got a full mag to shoot due to the shells butting up against the feed ramp. I would shoot two or three shells then a jam. Clear that jam and I might get one or two more shots and another jam against the feed ramp. Any ideas. I tried the original mag and a new Ruger mag. with the same results.

A few things, make sure the mag lips are adjusted correctly to NOT over rise the following shell or too tight and makes it nose dive...another thing at times some ammo that is too "hi speed" ( hyper velocity) makes it slam forward too fast and catches the nose of the following shell....look for any sign of a burr in the chamber form the firing pin 'nose' ( tip) this happens from dryfiring if not 'set' properly............
so bottom line try another mag, and other ammo....adjust acordingly the old one................

DeDuBe

Bearcat
I googled the problem and found hollow points may be the problem so I had some standard velocity regular shells and gave them a try. Worst. The shells got stuck in the chamber and wouldn't eject, I found some of the ejected shells with dents in the brass, and except for a few shells the gun just wouldn't cycle. I'm ready to send it to a gun smith or Ruger. Which is better, any idea what Ruger's turn around time is?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
DeDube, Welcome to the forum. Have you taken down the gun "completely" and given it a good "cleaning" for starters? Another good "tip" for you is to order a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and spring kit from Brownell's # 930-000-010AC. I highly recommend this extractor. It corrects a lot of miss-feed problems! Make sure that "chamber" is very clean and "smooth" inside! Try a "dummy" cartridge in it (if you have them) and see how easy "it" slides in and out of the chamber. Then try a "fired" case and see how easy that slides in and out of the chamber. That will give you a "good" idea of the condition of your chamber. That's where effective extraction "starts"!..................Dick :idea:

DeDuBe

Bearcat
I watched a video on disassembling the MK II gun. This was the first time I've done it and from the looks of the gun the first time it has had a good cleaning. I went to the range and shot 4 mag with out a hickup. Now I need another mag. The original mag was a piece of crap, I bought two updated Ruger mags and they work great. I've always keep my guns lubed and clean but this was a used pistol that wasn't taken care of.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
DeDuBe":1cm5yza9 said:
The original mag was a piece of crap, I bought two updated Ruger mags and they work great. I've always keep my guns lubed and clean but this was a used pistol that wasn't taken care of.

Hi,

Rugerguy mentioned the possibility of maladjusted (or bent) mag lips. He's one of our "pros" here, and has probably seen a kazillion mags in his shop that got dropped or otherwise banged up!

I don't have the link, but once upon a time there was a web page floating about that showed how to adjust the lips on a bent mag to avoid the problems he's alerted you to. Might be worth some looking to see if it's still out there.

I've found disassembling and cleaning the crud out of the inside of my MkII mags is not a waste of time or effort, either! While the mag's apart, check for burrs in the slot the little thumb button rides in--smoothing them sometimes cures several problems.

Rick C

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
+1 "....make sure the mag lips are adjusted correctly " Same thing happend to me just this weekend, made one small adjustment to one lip and no more FTF!

Latest posts