Mk II 22/45 "Great Eight" ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
This is my first posting but also one important to me. A number of years back I saw and purchased a new Mk II 22/45, slab side govt. target. It has "Great Eight" engraved on the top. I've since had the V trigger pkg installed and added the compensator. Shoots Fantastic. However, I have been unable to get information from Davidsons or Ruger as to how many of these were made. In fact, Prescott AZ suggested that I query the forum but told me "it is not our policy to provide the number made". Strange but I thought I'd share this with the rest of you and see what I can learn. WES-KI-MO

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got of those myself. No exact numbers known but there's "several thousand" according to the RENE.

Welcome to the forum wes-ki-mo.
If I remember correctly the "Great Eight" was a special run from Davidsons in very early 2000, maybe 2002? and was a special 8" slab sided barrel and also made on a 22/45 frame as well as the MKII. I have no idea how many were made but you see them pop up for sale ocassionally. It's an unusual barrel length and too long for me. The top is roll marked, not engraved. It is unlikely Ruger will have the quantity made readily available but you might call the records dept in New Hampshire with the serial # and see what they say.

single action

Single-Sixer
welcome the folks here are extremely knowledgable, Chet 15 prints a newletter and reference guide . Both of which give voluminous amounts of information. RENE stands for red eagle news exchange and Chet 15 can give you details see the sticky. Again Welcome single action

contender

Ruger Guru
From the RENE guide;
MK8; (model 0136) special distributor model for Davidsons. Fitted with brown laminate thumbrest stocks. Known serial number range 224-14099 tp 224-80501. Approximately 912 mfged.
P8GC; (model 0197) special distributor model for Davidsons. Known serial number range 224-26303 to 226-11466. Several thousands made. 2000 to 2004.

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
Thanks Guys,
Contender, you provided more info than I got from either Ruger or Davidsons. Mine is the latter, the 0197. I agree that it is roll engraved not really cut in like the great guys. This is one awesome pistol and I am hesitant to share with my new found friends some of the feats that get done with pistols in my hands. I might mention as background, I shot the USNA Pistol Team for 4 years while at Annapolis. But my thoughts and drives these days are of what I might have done with S/W 41, a current 45, and that drives me to accuracy, accuracy and more accuracy. Reliving the past and wondering? Thanks for the inputs, all of you. I will be back with other stories or questions..... WES-KI-MO

reakin

Single-Sixer
That's my favorite version of the 22/45 pistol. Been on the hunt for one for several years now.

reakin

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad to help,, and I see you live in the area of the home office of USPSA! I enjoy shooting that competition too.
The Great 8's are neat guns. I saw a couple of them in a gun shop back when,, and was thinking,, "I should try & get me a couple." Wish I had now,,!

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"2000-2004"?
I bought mine in Sept. 1999. Went back and the other three were gone in a couple days!

Many an Abert's dropped from on high at the report of that 8" barrel!

:)

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
Hi guys/gals,

I mentioned that I might share some Great Eight stories with you. Well, I had to check it out with the gun this PM. Went to my local gravel pit and put it through its paces. Been a few years. It was still sighted in at 100 yds! That's iron sights. You see, I had no idea what I had at first. After having the trigger done and the comp, a friend starting shooting clay birds at 80 yards with it. Couldn't believe it until I tried it myself. So, at this pit one of the things to do, set up birds at 100-112 yards at give them a go. It not only did it then, also this PM! That's why I can write this now without blowing smoke. It has always amazed me and still does, even today. Again, this is a slabsided govt target model "Great Eight" MKII. I have other devices I can hang on it but the proof is the iron. And it does do it.... Thanks again for your inputs. I just had a problem with getting shined on by both Davidson's (Lifetime Warranty) and Ruger themselves. You've bee a great help and I hope to share other items with you in the future..... WES-KI-MO

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
I'm working on getting one ragged hole at 25 yards. I'm using my MK10 with a 2x6 bushnell trophy. So far my best groups of 10 are 1 1/8 1 1/4,
my plan is to install a target trigger and Clark bushing. What would your great 8 do at 25 yards?

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
I find that my slabside stainless is the best shooter, though not a "one ragged hole" it does take out the "10 ring" @25.
It has full trigger by "V", the rubber target grips, comp. and a Millet
SP1 red dot.

The "8" is the long shooter, as I mentioned. Can't hold still enough for a
scope. Use another red dot and cover the clay, squeeze and away it goes.

Like "Slow's" clever response, :D

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
OVERLOADDED said:
I'm working on getting one ragged hole at 25 yards. I'm using my MK10 with a 2x6 bushnell trophy. So far my best groups of 10 are 1 1/8 1 1/4,
my plan is to install a target trigger and Clark bushing. What would your great 8 do at 25 yards?

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
Well, since you mentioned using a scope, I put a 1.5-4 on the great eight.
sighted it in at 25 yds on an NRA 25 yd slow fire target. It grouped about
the same as yours. Then on to 50, 75 and 100 yds today. Used a red
and white rifle target at 100. Added a shoot/nc oval off to the side. When
done I got 10/10 on the second target. Friends showed up who know
me and pistols and I let them break clays at 100+ yds. Told them that
the reason was your posting and they thank you. I hadn't let them do
this thing before. Cris was agast when I checked the birds he'd busted,
119 YARDS! So, in summary, thank you for asking about how the "Great
Eight" could shoot. It does well, thank you. WES-KI-MO

Eternal Sun

Bearcat
contender said:
From the RENE guide;
MK8; (model 0136) special distributor model for Davidsons. Fitted with brown laminate thumbrest stocks. Known serial number range 224-14099 tp 224-80501. Approximately 912 mfged.
P8GC; (model 0197) special distributor model for Davidsons. Known serial number range 224-26303 to 226-11466. Several thousands made. 2000 to 2004.

Sorry to open up an old thread, but I'm trying to find info on my Great Eight. Based on the serial number (224-26303) I am wondering if I possibly have the first Great Eight made??? And if so, is it more special?

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, while this is an older thread, no problem in opening it.

As noted in my OLD post, the RENE guide does list your gun as the first KNOWN serial number, at that time. Since Ruger doesn't release actual info, and we can only go by what members here send chet15 for info for the RENE. Only Chet15 can give you an update on the reported numbers.
Is it rarer? Somewhat, and might carry a slight premium to a serious collector of those guns. And, then only if in NIB condition. We do have a few MKII collectors who may be able to help more.

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
I have recently found one for myself. A shooter grade in the box. I will be sending funds on Tuesday the 26th. What a great 41st anniversary present from my wife, married 41 years on the 25th of January. I will post pics after it has arrived. And later target results. The best to all, Overloadded

Congrats OVERLOADED. If you got the one I think you did, great price. I've had some luck on gun buys but always seem to be looking the other way when a good deal comes by on a P8GC.