Mk II 22/45 "Great Eight" ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OVERLOADDED

Single-Sixer
Highstandardguy said:
Congrats OVERLOADED. If you got the one I think you did, great price. I've had some luck on gun buys but always seem to be looking the other way when a good deal comes by on a P8GC.
Purchased my first 22/45 a few Saturdays back, early January, so did not expect to spend more money in the same month. But, it was a Great Eight, the first one I have seen for sale not on GB, never handled one, now I can own one and shoot it. To find one in the original box and all, could not pass it up. Overloadded

Eternal Sun

Bearcat
contender said:
Well, while this is an older thread, no problem in opening it.

As noted in my OLD post, the RENE guide does list your gun as the first KNOWN serial number, at that time. Since Ruger doesn't release actual info, and we can only go by what members here send chet15 for info for the RENE. Only Chet15 can give you an update on the reported numbers.
Is it rarer? Somewhat, and might carry a slight premium to a serious collector of those guns. And, then only if in NIB condition. We do have a few MKII collectors who may be able to help more.

Any idea what value / price I should place on this great 8?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The first 22/45 Great Eight guns never had the aluminum rail, they had the steel "Ruger"-stamped mount and blued rings. Great hunting pistol.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Eternal Sun said:
contender said:
Well, while this is an older thread, no problem in opening it.

As noted in my OLD post, the RENE guide does list your gun as the first KNOWN serial number, at that time. Since Ruger doesn't release actual info, and we can only go by what members here send chet15 for info for the RENE. Only Chet15 can give you an update on the reported numbers.
Is it rarer? Somewhat, and might carry a slight premium to a serious collector of those guns. And, then only if in NIB condition. We do have a few MKII collectors who may be able to help more.

Any idea what value / price I should place on this great 8?

I see them sell in the $500 - $700 range NIB at auction. They are not as scarce as the steel frame Mark II Great 8.