MK I PROBLEMS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WHS1972

Bearcat
Just bought a used 4 3/4" MK I 1976 model.

I am getting jams with the MK I mag that flip the spent shell around to where the open end of the shell gets lodged between the bolt and the barrell. The shell is actually parked on top of the extractor. The next round in the mag is lined up and stating down the throat of the barrel.

When I use MK II mags I get a few of the same as well as the bullet lodged against the top of the throat of the barrel and the bolt hitting the middle of the case. With these the prior shell is ejected ok.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

WHS1972

Bearcat
Using PMC 40 grain lead which I have used in quite a few different guns with very good results. Everything has been cleaned and re-cleaned twice.

Thanks for the reply.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
Check the extractor and see if the tip is broke off or chipped. Also check the little recess the extractor rest in when the bolt is close. Have you broken it down and cleaned it good? Is it lubed? Since it's used it may have been awhile since it had a real cleaning. Mags clean and springs still strong?

Last but not least try a different type of ammo.

WHS1972

Bearcat
The extractor looks very good. No chips or wear showing. I have cleaned it very good a couple of times. It moves freely. The indent where it rests looks good also. I haven't tried any other ammo yet. I have a few MK II and a MK III and have never had any problems feeding any kind of ammo.

Does anyone know if the bolts are inter-changeable between the I's and II's? I know the III's will fit the II's but not sure about the I's. Thanks

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
As mentioned a good cleaning and magnified inspection can often show us where a problem is occuring. Check the ejector,, along with the extractor,, as sometimes it can be the culprit. Next,, as mentioned,, try different ammo,, and different mags. All of these things can cause your issues.
As to the bolt swapping question,, in general,, yes,, the MKI bolts can be swapped around in the MKII's. But,, sometimes,, there are differences in machining,, so it's not always a proven swap.

WHS1972

Bearcat
I am wondering about the ejector but I don't have any reason to question it. It looks normal.

I have cleaned and re-cleaned so I am sure it's not a dirt issue. I have looked it over with magnification and see nothing wrong.

I have a couple of MK II's. I am going to swap the bolt out of one of them since I know they are good and see if that helps.

I only have one MK I mag so I can't eliminate that as the problem. I have used several MK II mags and get the same ejection problem but it doesn't seem as often. I also get with the MK II mags the bullet lodged against the top of the throat of the barrel.

I'll try some different ammo. But my MK II's will work with anything I feed them.

I haven't had a MK I for quite a few years. I don't remember if it ever had feeding issues or not.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

WHS1972

Bearcat
Well, still not sure.

I switched the bolt with the one out of my MK II and it ran fine with no problems at all. My MK II with the MK I had the same problems that I was having with my MK I so I know it's in the bolt assembly. Problem is you can't get a replacement bolt from Ruger for the MK I's. Guns parts doesn't have them either.

If I use MK I mags in it the only problem I have is the spent shell turning 180 degrees and loding between the bolt and the barrel. With the MK II mags the bolt is actually going over the rim of the shell and causing a jam. So I can live with just using MK I mags I guess. But I think the extractor is in need of replacement. I can get a replacement through Ruger so I guess I will try that for now.

Anyone know how to get the extractor out? I can't seem to figuire that one out.

Thanks for all the help.

whs, I have the MK I bolts if you need one...as for the extractor, take the cross pin out first and that will allow the plunger to go back :"further" into its hole so you can extract, the extractor............if fitted properly, the Ruger ones work just fine.................22's are strange, and LOTS of things can be 'wrong' to cause them to act up, cleanliness, ammo and mags are the top of the list................then chambers and their surrounding area, rim & extractor slot.....and of course, the extractor, and finally the ejector......

surly

Bearcat
Having similar problems with my dad's Mark I. Just wanted to revive this post to see what was done to fix this, such as new extractor or bolt. I'm in process of removing my extractor, first time to take the bolt apart, to further inspect for problems. Hopefully I'll find time to take pictures and post so I can draw out the experience on this board to fixing these nice pistols.

WHS1972

Bearcat
surly said:
Having similar problems with my dad's Mark I. Just wanted to revive this post to see what was done to fix this, such as new extractor or bolt. I'm in process of removing my extractor, first time to take the bolt apart, to further inspect for problems. Hopefully I'll find time to take pictures and post so I can draw out the experience on this board to fixing these nice pistols.

I replaced the extractor without much if any improvement. Bought three new MK I mags and I haven't had a problem since.

I don't know why it wouldn't run with MKII mags but it wouldn't. The new MKI mags took care of it and I am a very happy with it now. Good luck and keep us posted.

PALADIN85020

Bearcat
Actually, this is a fairly common problem, and the cause is often the ejector. As it is set up, the prong is bent in too far towards the centerline of the pistol. It's cured easily by taking a flat-faced punch, and using a small hammer, tapping the ejector through the ejection port so it's bent outward just a tiny bit. This almost always will take care of the problem. I've had it happen on two of my Ruger .22 pistols, and cured it just this way. Don't overdo this - it only takes a tiny bit of adjustment. A gunsmith would charge you $35 to do this and call it a "reliability job", but it's a closed secret and almost anyone can do it easily.

John