Mk.1 Target with tapered barrel....trigger problem!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Before I disassemble this pistol I thought I would ask here for your thoughts. I purchased this recently. It is in fine condition (95%) and does not appear to have been fired much. So, I took it out try it for function. First shot after inserting a magazine the trigger pull is terrible....heavier than expected. After the first shot is fired the trigger pull becomes very light for the rest of the magazine. Possibly even too light for my liking. Any ideas? David

I'd check the trigger bar ( disconnector) and the sear, hammer engagement, sounds like something dragging?? a burr ?? LACK of oil ?? multitude of things could be going on, I've had them hang up and either NOT disconnect or go full auto....safety first 8) :wink:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks Dan. I have never had one apart any further than a simple disassembly to clean them. I have never had a trigger and parts out. Is there a source on the internet or on the Ruger site which has a step by step? David

bet there is something on YouTube, I don;t go there myself, too old fashioned I guess, and I'm positive Bullseye from this forum has something on his web site, maybe he'll jump in....not that hard really and no need to tear it ALL apart, remove the upper from the grip frame and a look/see may tell you something right off....with the upper off the frame,you can put the mainspring housing assembly back "in place" to actuate the trigger/hammer ( lockwork) only thing you do not see if there are any issues with the bolt, canted in the receiver tube or any drag on the magazine lips, to the bolts underside........but you will be able to "see" and "operate" the trigger, and hammer and see how they are interacting, and the disconnector along the inside of the grip frame, smooth and easy travel....if you were sitting here, it would take a few minutes.......gosh I sure miss my fishing days from up north of the border, and I still refuse to get a 'passport',,,,,,, oh well Clean it real good, blow it out with an air hose or gun blaster or some such stuff ( we just use kerosene ourselves) then oil it real good,may just be 'gunked up' springs fouled in place, etc.........

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks again Dan. I will try when time presents itself. Working every day at deer camp building a new outdoor toilet and shower......roughing it at camp! I do not know what your aversion is to getting a passport. You can't do much without one these days. Are you still lagging behind the 21st century? David

hell yes, I still have a 'flip phone", and NO "social media" of any sort, don't text, or do media on my cell phone.........kinda like a dinosaur...as for the passport, I HATE waiting to cross any border or get on any airline...used to go up there ALL the time, have family in Val D'Or ,Que, as well as around Toronto,Ont......fished so much I hate fishing any more, it was NO fun or little work to catch LOTS of fish all around Canada, and as for eating them , the fish market and walleye (dory to you) or our Lake Erie perch are still my go to favorites...I have lots of buddies who give me all the Lake Erie perch I would or could need or use....and sadly my wife does NOT do "seafood" of any sort.....hhhmmmmm :(

Good luck with your cleaning,,,while you are so busy, just drop the gun (Unloaded of course) in a pan of kerosene and let it SOAK.........till you get around to it....works wonders my friend 8) :wink:

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Rugerguy said:
and I'm positive Bullseye from this forum has something on his web site, maybe he'll jump in....

Well I don't think I'll be much help in this particular situation. I didn't create any maintenance web pages for the Mark I/II series pistols back at that time because there were already several others around that covered those models well. One of my old forum members, "Yzguy", created a small field strip page, here's the link to that one ~ http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm . He also has some of the other tasks covered on this index page ~ http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/index.htm . These should help in this case. I guess to have a single "one-stop" maintenance web page would be best, so perhaps I should script up and photograph some help pages for the Mark I & II models.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Latest posts