Mk 1 misfires

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Steveb

Bearcat
Greetings,
I have an older Mk1 which has worked great for about 20 years but has lately started misfiring. Basically, it fires about every other round. I field-stripped it, cleaned and oiled everything well, and it seemed to work fine for about the first 20 rounds. After that, it started misfiring again. The ammo is new, so that's not the problem. I'm looking to buy and install a new firing pin and rebound spring assembly, thinking that may be the problem.

Any one experience this problem with older Ruger target pistols?

Many thanks,
Steve

wwb

Hunter
????

I have a bull barrel Mark I with untold thousands of rounds through it - nary a problem.

In your cleaning, did you remove the firing pin and clean the channel in which it rides? When reassembling, does the mainspring appear to have enough force? Something hindering the firing pin motion or something causing a weak hammer strike would be the logical causes.

I'd pretty much look at the firing pin spring. Did you leave it cocked for any length of time in the last 20 years. I'm guessing you did, as to release the firing pin springs tension, you have to fire the pistol. Most folks end up leaving them cocked after they clean them, or risk damaging the firing pin. Little hint, clean up a spent case (removing all the burnt powder) chamber it and dry fire the pistol after cleaning.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jeepnik":31genbbo said:
Little hint, clean up a spent case (removing all the burnt powder) chamber it and dry fire the pistol after cleaning.
Not necessary. In first place, the firing pin of a Ruger auto doesn't hit the chamber. And if you're still worried about it, all you have to do is hold the bolt open about 1/16" and pull the trigger and the hammer will fall. No need to go through all the gymnastics of trying to chamber a fired case for storage. :wink:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
try squirting some brake-kleen (non chlorinated) or some type of solvent in the firing pin channel...may be a little gunk in there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Our manners here must be slipping a little.
All these eager folks wanting to help without a proper "Welcome to the Forum!" This is the second posting with a new member w/o a welcome.
It just goes to show how eager we are to help,,, while not looking at who is asking!
So,,,,
Welcome to the Forum!
Now,,, the above posters have offered some excellent advice. Try those suggestions,,, and then let us know what happens. We do like to help around here!

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
contender":1tpz21xg said:
All these eager folks wanting to help without a proper "Welcome to the Forum!" This is the second posting with a new member w/o a welcome.
It just goes to show how eager we are to help,,, while not looking at who is asking!
So,,,,
Welcome to the Forum!
Now,,, the above posters have offered some excellent advice. Try those suggestions,,, and then let us know what happens. We do like to help around here!

my bad :oops: And to think I pride myself on doing that. I guess that's what happens when I'm online at 2am :shock:

blkhawk

Bearcat
Jeepnik":2zfeway4 said:
I'd pretty much look at the firing pin spring. Did you leave it cocked for any length of time in the last 20 years. I'm guessing you did, as to release the firing pin springs tension, you have to fire the pistol. Most folks end up leaving them cocked after they clean them, or risk damaging the firing pin. Little hint, clean up a spent case (removing all the burnt powder) chamber it and dry fire the pistol after cleaning.
If the Mk I is anything like the Mk II the "firing pin spring", aka the Rebound Spring, is located in the bolt assembly so leaving the hammer cocked will have no effect on it only the mainspring would be effected by leaving the hammer cocked. Sounds like either a worn out firing pin or weak mainspring. I would try replacing the firing pin first, after 20 years it probably is worn out from all the hammer strikes.

96/44

Blackhawk
If you work the bolt slowly by hand will it work? I have worn out the sear on mine a couple times, seems to happen about every 10,000 rds or so. Look closely at the sear engagement surface, if it is not perfectly square it could be your issue.

Welcome to the Forum...could be a few different things, as mentioned above, cleaning is first and foremost, especially the chamber, and make sure the chamber is "round" and no dings in the rim (edge)
make sure the "upper " is squared to the grip frame, if its tight and off to one side or the other, may just be dragging the hammer, on the side of the bolt slot,slowing things down....make sure the nose of the firting pin has not chipped or finally "worn" flat.........
lastly, it could be your ammo, won't be the first time that has happened over the years...... :wink:

Steveb

Bearcat
wwb":1zov6l88 said:
????

I have a bull barrel Mark I with untold thousands of rounds through it - nary a problem.

In your cleaning, did you remove the firing pin and clean the channel in which it rides? When reassembling, does the mainspring appear to have enough force? Something hindering the firing pin motion or something causing a weak hammer strike would be the logical causes.

I cleaned the channel thoroughly and oiled the assembly. But I agree with you; it seems like a weak hammer strike. Thanks

Steveb

Bearcat
Jeepnik":2ykr7u26 said:

No, I always release the spring tension when storing, but your suggestion is a good one. Thank you

Steveb

Bearcat
ab4ka":38yy4pnp said:
try squirting some brake-kleen (non chlorinated) or some type of solvent in the firing pin channel...may be a little gunk in there.

Yeah, I cleaned the channel out really well. No gunk in there (now!). I think it's a worn out firing pin. Thanks

Steveb

Bearcat
Geezer":35zrk7ut said:
I'd check the bolt. Clean the firing pin and channel real good.

Yeah, I cleaned the bolt and channel really well. I have a feeling it's a worn out firing pin and/or rebound spring. Thanks

Steveb

Bearcat
96/44":1k6xu6h1 said:
If you work the bolt slowly by hand will it work? I have worn out the sear on mine a couple times, seems to happen about every 10,000 rds or so. Look closely at the sear engagement surface, if it is not perfectly square it could be your issue.

Hmm...never even considered that. I'll check it out. Thank you!

Steveb

Bearcat
contender":x6tbgd77 said:
So,,,,
Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you sir, I will.

Steveb

Bearcat
blkhawk":3a5xukc9 said:
Jeepnik":3a5xukc9 said:
If the Mk I is anything like the Mk II the "firing pin spring", aka the Rebound Spring, is located in the bolt assembly so leaving the hammer cocked will have no effect on it only the mainspring would be effected by leaving the hammer cocked. Sounds like either a worn out firing pin or weak mainspring. I would try replacing the firing pin first, after 20 years it probably is worn out from all the hammer strikes.

That's what I'm thinking too. At the very least, I'll install a new firing pin assembly and then check out the sear too. Thank you

Steveb

Bearcat
rugerguy":u3vahrft said:
Welcome to the Forum...could be a few different things, as mentioned above, cleaning is first and foremost, especially the chamber, and make sure the chamber is "round" and no dings in the rim (edge)
make sure the "upper " is squared to the grip frame, if its tight and off to one side or the other, may just be dragging the hammer, on the side of the bolt slot,slowing things down....make sure the nose of the firting pin has not chipped or finally "worn" flat.........
lastly, it could be your ammo, won't be the first time that has happened over the years...... :wink:

Agreed. I have a feeling the firing pin is just tired. That will be the first thing I replace, including the rebound spring/rebound spring support. Hopefully, it's not the ammo, as I just bought a boatload of Remington Golden Bullets. :) Thanks

Steveb

Bearcat
contender":2h2k3y72 said:
So,,,,
Welcome to the Forum!

Greetings to all,
I went ahead and replaced the firing pin and rebound spring assembly and that cured the problem. Many thanks to all friendly forum members for the helpful advice.

Regards,
Steve

Latest posts