Missouri Bullet's Slammer 325 gr. 45 Colt.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Loading up some of these Hi Tek coated bullets for use in my Ruger BH Bisley and .45 Alsakan.
Wanted to try these in my Alaskan to see if a coated bullet will solve my leading issue with cast bullets.
Anyway will try a small batch starting load with 16 gr. of Alliant 2400 to see how they perform with my FPS target of 1000 out of the 5.5 inch Bisley and 900 out of the 2.5 inch Alaskan.
If no leading issues I could bump up the loads for the Alaskan.
May get out tomorrow for a chrony test.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I recently drove to Missouri Cast Bullets, as they are 45 minutes away from me. I buy several boxes at a time. I watched a Hi Tec bullet get smashed with a ball peen hammer. Coating did not chip or peel off. You can be confident as to no leading. Bare lead does not touch bore

Mus408

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
I recently drove to Missouri Cast Bullets, as they are 45 minutes away from me. I buy several boxes at a time. I watched a Hi Tec bullet get smashed with a ball peen hammer. Coating did not chip or peel off. You can be confident as to no leading. Bare lead does not touch bore

What kind of loads do you use?

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Mus408,

What do you think about using Gas Checked Semi-wadcutters in your .45 Colt loads?

Back when I was really into hand loading, I found them to shoot much cleaner in the .44 Mag and .44 Special than their plain based counter parts.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
In .357, .41M, .44M, and .45C I load the Hi Tec bullets with Unique and HS6. Just follow cast data. You can increase velocity some, but I dont load like I would with a XTP. These Hi Tecs shoot very well. I have the 300 gr Hi Tec with the black sabots for my 77/50's.

Mus408

Hunter
texaswheelgunner said:
Mus408,

What do you think about using Gas Checked Semi-wadcutters in your .45 Colt loads?

Back when I was really into hand loading, I found them to shoot much cleaner in the .44 Mag and .44 Special than their plain based counter parts.

I have some of those in 300 gr. and they do well. I like the look of the MB Slammers and wanted to try those in my big .45's. Also got same style bullet in .44 Magnum the 300 gr. Smasher to try in my SBH .44 Mag revolver and my S&W 629.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Those 45 Slammers must be a new item from Missouri Bullet.
I like the looks of them. It's hard to tell in the picture, are they flat based or beveled?
16 to 18 grains should do the job.

Mus408

Hunter
SweetWilliam said:
Those 45 Slammers must be a new item from Missouri Bullet.
I like the looks of them. It's hard to tell in the picture, are they flat based or beveled?
16 to 18 grains should do the job.

Yes they are a recent addition and are flat based. I plan on getting out today to test my loads
and see how they shoot.

Mus408

Hunter
Got some Slammer tests done today and posted a video in Revolver section.
They shot well with no leading in the Alaskan which has been a problem gun with cast bullets.
Bullet speed was right close to what I wanted and may bump it up a bit.

veeman

Single-Sixer
I bought a sample bag of the Slammer's also, haven't shot them yet. One thing about them is they don't weigh 325 gr, but averaged in at 311gr. Thought I'd share that.