Missouri Bullets and leading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I ordered some 255 45 colt bullets from Missouri Bullets and about 10% of them the wax has fallen off. some have lost all the wax, some half lost, some only a quarter.

and from the ones I've shot my guns are leaded to high hell.

I've been shooting laser-cast for the past year and I recently ordered these Missouri bullets to save a buck. I've never seen this much leading in these guns. I normally built up some leading just after the forcing cone.. but now they are leaded all the way thru.

I'm shooting 255 grain with 10 grains of Unique with winchester primer. accuracy was hit and miss.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
My guess is that they are really hard bullets. I get cast bullets from a local maker, Proofmark, and with certain powders (Unique especially) at lower pressure/velocity load levels they will lead badly. Try a faster powder that has a different pressure curve and burn temp to ensure that they obturate quickly and completely. Try something like Tightgroup or HS6. Using some liquid Alox on them is also good. I use WSF with those hard Proofmark bullets and get no leading. With Unique I cannot shoot 3 cylinders worth before I'm leaded up.

J Miller

Blackhawk
demo_slug":8vzbr5t7 said:
I ordered some 255 45 colt bullets from Missouri Bullets and about 10% of them the wax has fallen off. some have lost all the wax, some half lost, some only a quarter.

and from the ones I've shot my guns are leaded to high hell.

I've been shooting laser-cast for the past year and I recently ordered these Missouri bullets to save a buck. I've never seen this much leading in these guns. I normally built up some leading just after the forcing cone.. but now they are leaded all the way thru.

I'm shooting 255 grain with 10 grains of Unique with winchester primer. accuracy was hit and miss.

That is the problem with that crappy crayola wax type lube. It falls off and at normal pressures doesn't really work. When I get bullets lubed like that I either coat them with liquid alox lube, or run them through my Lube-A-Matic and fill the groves with real bullet lube.

The excessive leading could be caused by the bullets being undersized for the throats on your revolver. Slug the throats, if you haven't, then measure the bullets. "Most" of the hard cast are sized .452" but I've seen some as small as .450". Regardless of their diameter if they are undersized for the throats in your gun they WILL lead like fiends. The bevel base exacerbates the problem by allowing the burning powder gasses to flow around the base of the bullet and soften the sides. This causes leading big time.

Unique is a hot burning powder. Combine that with the bevel bases and it can be a contributing factor in the leading. I know they cost more, but I'd suggest switching to a flat based cast bullet. From my experience you'll get a better result.

Joe

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
my throats are some what tight. on my NM blackhawk a .451 FMJ bullit will slide thru them. the lead bullets wont. my Vaquero is even tighter...

but doesn't explain to me why the same bullet shape with the same powder charge yeilds barrel of lead while my laser-cast version of the same bullet does fine.

J Miller

Blackhawk
demo_slug":2cfr7mne said:
my throats are some what tight. on my NM blackhawk a .451 FMJ bullit will slide thru them. the lead bullets wont. my Vaquero is even tighter...

but doesn't explain to me why the same bullet shape with the same powder charge yeilds barrel of lead while my laser-cast version of the same bullet does fine.

Different alloys and different lubes.

I would suggest having your cylinder throats reamed. It will most likely reduce the leading by a significant amount.
It sure did with mine.

Joe

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
reamer is in my Brownel's shopping cart. I have 3 to do... so its $87 to have it done. or for for just $50 more I can have the tool.

I'll order somemore laser cast and see if they fix my issues.

J Miller":2re0cwzl said:
demo_slug":2re0cwzl said:

Different alloys and different lubes.

I would suggest having your cylinder throats reamed. It will most likely reduce the leading by a significant amount.
It sure did with mine.

Joe

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Do you know the hardness of those bullets? MBC has two types of 255 grn SWC, one that is for cowboy action (BHN 12) and one for higher pressure loads (BHN 18 ).

I had more leading with the BHN 18 version and Unique, from 8 grains up to 10.5 grains. When I used a 25.5-26 grains of H-110 though, no more leading.

I have used the BHN12 version with Unique at standard pressures more recently, and only get some leading just after the forcing cone.

I agree with what has been said about the crayon lube. Pretty much useless, and much of it gets knocked off in shipping. I have a bottle of Alox to try, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
I'm a big dummy. they are 451s. I should have measured them before I used them. darnit. :shock: I've got to purge some ammo. :cry:

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
VonFatman":2nahqbgl said:
I had a box that had been sized improperly. Brad sent out a shipping label and plenty of bullets to make up for the trouble.

I'd return them rather than mess with re-lubing them.

Bob

bob hit the nail on the head.