Minor repairs on the Guide Gun laminate stock finish

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bittereinder

Bearcat
In case it helps others, I wanted share some experiences with the Guide Gun stock finish. First off, I'd like to pre-empt comments like "the Guide Gun is a tool meant for rough use and you shouldn't even think about minor flaws on the stock". Sure, it'll eventually accumulate dings and scratches but I'd like to keep it in good condition within reason, especially when it's new.

I'm on my second one, having sold a 30-06 and replaced it with the 375 Ruger. For the first one, I never had to do anything with the stock, and as one would expect, it held up well with normal wear from white tail hunting in central Ontario.

My new one in 375 Ruger had some very small blisters and "ripples" at the edges of some of the layers in the laminate. I didn't even notice them when I picked the gun up from the store, but I wanted to see if I could smooth them out. I didn't want to risk making bigger flaws with sandpaper or steel wool. I tried Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen & Conditioner, and it worked perfectly. Rubbing on that conditioner with a paper towel a few times, it stripped down the ripples and blisters and left a nice smooth finish that's pretty much the same as the untouched parts of the stock. I think it has a bit of pumice in it, so it's basically a way of doing some really gentle sanding.

Recently, I was a bit careless in some bench shooting and made a raisin-sized gouge on the bottom of the stock from the big flat screw on a sling. I smoothed away the gouge with the Stock Sheen & Conditioner, but this one was a bit deeper and I was left with a small dull patch. I've found that a little bit of Tru Oil has worked well, blending in nicely with the rest of the stock. I don't know what they finish these laminate stocks with for Ruger, but for small gouges at least, it looks like Tru Oil is pretty good.

I'd be curious to see if others have had similar experiences, or if those with more experience in these things have better ideas. Thanks.

RJ556

Buckeye
bittereinder, I have occasionally used the BC stock Sheen over the years and will agree with you that it seems to do wonders with small stock blemishes. Good stuff. RJ

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A good person keeps his tools in top condition.

Grandpa told me to keep guns clean and in good repair, as though someday each one would be worthy of a gift to a friend.

Besides all that, learning how to repair furniture, laminated or plastic, and gun metal, is the mark of a guy who knows his tools, be they a hobby or profession. Laminates are harder to repair for sure, as are spaces age finishes, but I appreciate all experiences and tips !

bittereinder

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
A good person keeps his tools in top condition.

Grandpa told me to keep guns clean and in good repair, as though someday each one would be worthy of a gift to a friend.

Besides all that, learning how to repair furniture, laminated or plastic, and gun metal, is the mark of a guy who knows his tools, be they a hobby or profession. Laminates are harder to repair for sure, as are spaces age finishes, but I appreciate all experiences and tips !

Well put, and I like what your Grandpa had to say.

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Great tips and I might just give them a try on some of my own rifles. I know with certainty that I will someday be borrowing the metaphor "raisin-sized" to describe a gouge.