Mini30 vs 44 Magnum Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

geeman1969

Bearcat
I'd like to have posted the current configuration of my Ruger 96/44. :D

But I think I havent made enough posts yet to qualify for the posting of such things. I made a flip magazine so you have a possible 9 shots and can reload on the run = win/win. :D

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
Man I gave up trying to find 96/44 at respectable price to go with the 96/22 WMR and picked up a nice 44 semi carbine for half what the 96 is going for now. I don't like the flimsy forearm stock caused by the tube and like the quick reload of a magazine.

But sometimes you just have to suck it up and remember it may not be quite what you wanted but at least you wasn't a fool separated from their money, I rather have my $300 semi-auto then the lever at $200 over that price.

geeman1969

Bearcat
I have actually requested a project off Checkmate industries to make the vaunted 10 shot mags we have all seen on you tube. But they are have requested sample firearms ( it seems there are some differences between the 96/deerfield and 77 mags) to help with the project if anyone knows someone who would like to lend a gun and maybe swing a mag out of it. I can give you details of the guy if you want to be part of it. Im sure they'd appreciate it and being in Australia and unable to send them a gun you know we'd appreciate it down under!!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
geeman1969":39g4if2o said:
I have actually requested a project off Checkmate industries to make the vaunted 10 shot mags we have all seen on you tube. But they are have requested sample firearms ( it seems there are some differences between the 96/deerfield and 77 mags) to help with the project if anyone knows someone who would like to lend a gun and maybe swing a mag out of it. I can give you details of the guy if you want to be part of it. Im sure they'd appreciate it and being in Australia and unable to send them a gun you know we'd appreciate it down under!!

The 77/44 bolt gun and the 99/44 Deerfield use the same magazine.
The 96/44 Lever-action uses a different magazine.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgAJj5B1iE

The video I saw was a Desert Eagle magazine glued into a 96/44 magazine and put into a 96/44 lever-action rifle. I was not impressed as I thought the magazine might damage the rifle's magazine latch mechanism if bumped hard. :D

...Jimbo

geeman1969

Bearcat
The way I saw it was the the pistol mag was fittend inside the standard plastic shroud of the Ruger magazine so I think magazine is definately going to come off worse for wear in such a situation. The only metalis part on the std Ruger mags that I have is the feed lips , a spring inside? and whatever else I cant see, but the external contact is plastic on metal.

So Im pretty confidant of keeping the integrity of the magazine bay intact.

Do you guys have metal shrouds?

Cheers

Gavin

PS does anyone want to adopt me to the US just long enough to shoot 10,000 rounds each of fully and semi automatic each year?? :/

geeman1969

Bearcat
After a bit of sideways movement doing other things in the business I want to put this prototype back on my list

So Ive tried contacting Ruger to determine manufacturing numbers for the Deerfield and 96/44 lever and Ruger are dis-inclined to give out this information. :( :(

Does anyone have any real idea as to how many Ruger Deerfields and 96's there are out there in US? I guess we only have 96's in Australia and if prototyping for production become a bit expensive I'll need to do the 96's in the US and maybe even the Deerfields to get a good return.

I also had a look at some pictures of the Deerfield magazine to see how it was different to the 96 magazine (I cant buy one here without owning the gun and owning a semi is prohibited to most license holders in Australia) and it seems the feed lips are the same so if the contact points are the same and the only difference in the bottom rounded base and the mag well is identical, then the same magazine will fit both. That would be excellent if they did.

In Australia we will be limited to 10 rounds and given we will likely prototype by filling the existing mag exterior with the base and guts removed to fit a pistol mag we arent going to get more than 10 shots anyway.

So does anyone have a finger in the sky idea of numbers?

Anybody know of anybody doing any other aftermarket mag that I needn't bother?

Good hunting Ruger brothers/sisters.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can check the serial # history on the Ruger websight and get a pretty good idea of the production numbers.
http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

model 96/44 lever ----- 640-00202 to 640-23399 ------aprox. 23,000
Deerfield --------------- 630-00001 to 630-17441 -----aprox. 17,441
model 77/44 bolt --------740-00001 to 740-18652 -----aprox. 18,600

Remember the Deerfield and 77/44 bolt gun use the same magazine. The 96/44 magazine only fits the 96/44. The two magazines have identical feed lips but the two magazines have slightly different outside shapes. They will not interchange. I could, if you like, take some pics and show you the differences. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

geeman1969

Bearcat
Thanks Jimbo youve been a great help already just with the numbers.

The feedlips being the same is what I had thought, if they are in the same position because of the same bolt face all the better.

If the magwell where the magazine fits around the edges is slightly different then a .5-1mm difference may not be an issue if you make it to the smaller size if the connectors are in the same spot.

If the magwell and the connection points are a different shape I will develop them separately, it doesn't bother me too much if the magazines are a different shape as I will just be aware of that and get them to develop them one after another.

But I'm mighty greatful if you point out where it all falls down, the more we do together the less it costs at the professional level.

Cheers

Gavin

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Here is a pic of both mags side by side and some of the differences I noted.

Ruger44magMagazines.jpg

...jimbo

Latest posts