Mini30 vs 44 Magnum Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SReagle

Single-Sixer
DennisE":p1wyguat said:
Ruger's current .44 magnum carbine is the 77/44 all weather carbine. It's bolt action. I'm ordering one this week! Dennis

No a bolt action is not auto-loading nor a carbine.

the 77/44 is bolt action there for not a carbine.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
SReagle":1vjbuk48 said:
DennisE":1vjbuk48 said:
Ruger's current .44 magnum carbine is the 77/44 all weather carbine. It's bolt action. I'm ordering one this week! Dennis

No a bolt action is not auto-loading nor a carbine.

I've certainly seen a lot of bolt action carbines. At least that's what governments and manufacturers call shortened, usually lightened versions of their full size rifles.

wwb

Hunter
SReagle":uh14wsrs said:

Nope.

"Carbine", as opposed to "Rifle" is traditionally determined by length. A single shot, a bolt action, a lever action, a slide (pump) action, or an autoloader can be a carbine.... all it has to do is be short.

I don't have a 44 but I do have at least 4 rifles in 7.62x39....

the two rounds I think are a lot different.... here's and extreme example.... a number of years ago I was trying to see how one of my SKS's shot and was using the basic commie ammo that came with it... Full Metal Jacket of course... I propped up a couple of short 1.5ft 2x4s on the end of the dock at the pond... and got back about 25 yards and shot at the 2x4... first round was high, I could tell from the splash (yes I know, but this is way out in the woods with nothing behind close on a mile).... So with the high splash I aimed a little lower and shot... didn't knock the 2x4 over... so I shot again... still 'missed'.. shot a third time and realized the splashes sure looked like they were directly behind the 2x4... so I went to check.... there were 3 holes in the 2x4 and it was still sitting just like I left it ... just propped up.... the holes looked like someone had hammered a 16lb nail in and then pulled it out... practically no bigger hole on the back side as on the front...

that 7.62 x 39 fmj ammo is ment to drill a 1/4" hole through you and do very little damage in the process.

One of the things missed in war is a wounded soldier is initially three times more costly than a dead one.

welder

Buckeye
I had two Mini 30's. Both were plinkers for me. I still have and will continue to have my 77/44 in .44mag. I do not hunt, but use it for plinking as well, just not that often. It delivers a healthy wallop and I can shoot it better than I ever could the Mini's. Not sure why I bought it, just really liked the looks and feel. It always gets attention at the range.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
welder":36wfgsl8 said:
I had two Mini 30's. Both were plinkers for me. I still have and will continue to have my 77/44 in .44mag. I do not hunt, but use it for plinking as well, just not that often. It delivers a healthy wallop and I can shoot it better than I ever could the Mini's. Not sure why I bought it, just really liked the looks and feel. It always gets attention at the range.

The 44mag rifles allways turn heads at the range. I think it is the Big KaBoom and the big holes in the targets. :D :D

...Jimbo

welder

Buckeye
I agree Jimbo. It's always a little different when you are on with the regular rifles. A distinctive sound and an impressive thump on the steel. I really like mine and plan to reload for it soon too. Mine is one of the older runs but shoots pretty good for me. :)

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Guys, thanks for all your thoughts.............here's what I did............I kept the Mini30, gave the 44 mag carbine to my brother, & bought a Ruger #3 single shot in 44 mag for my wife.................EVERYONE involved is happy!!!

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Here they are - the Marlin's & the Ruger's -
Marlin 1881 (made in 1883-recently restored) 45/70
Ruger #3 44 magnum
Marlin model 60 .22
Ruger Mini30
188131.jpg

marlin60mini30.jpg

[/img]

geeman1969

Bearcat
I owned the Mini 30 all those years ago (Im Australian and they were in a gun ban buy back) and I now have the .44mag in 96 action, never had the 2 back to back.

But I was very happy with both. The thing is in Australia we do a lot of re-loading, getting your shelf load ammo over here we are being slaughtered on the price.

Of course there is next to NO 7.62x39 reloading, so its all shelf. But there is a massive amount of load development for .44Mag for pistol and carbine.

So pretty much the .44 has a heap of development down here and I shoot mine at about 1900fps with Hornady 200 XTP off 28gn AR296 atm but Im about to try some 265gnLE pills and fope the extra weight will make up for the reported poor performance of the LE's.

My .44 is so good its my go to gun whenever I'm off for a walk around a swamp or spotlighting at night.

But Im trying for the particular license to hold semi-auto's again and if I get it I'll buy a Mini 30 again

They just represent very different uses to me as much because of the action as the calibre.

hamour

Bearcat
I have two Ruger 44 semi carbines and sold my mini 30.

The Ruger carbine is the perfect short range deer rifle and cartridge.

The mini 30 is ok but I sold it and biught an M1 Garand from CMP!

My 44 carbines will be willed to the surviving children, they just rock in the woods.

gator37

Bearcat
Had a Mini 30 nice rifle but was just not accurate enough for me.
Got rid of it and stayed with my 44 carbine. Wished I had an additional one since my is 1971 sport stock which is giving me a little ejection problem after all these years. :)