Mini30 vs 44 Magnum Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Does or has anyone owned both a Mini30 and a 44 Magnum Carbine? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on one versus the other.

Thanks!!!

Kanook

Buckeye
Got both and love both. Both shoot great for 100yds.

The Mini is a faster reload for capacity

The 44 makes a bigger entry hole and hits harder closer IMO

Sorry I can't make an arguement for either one.

Kanook

Buckeye
And forgot to add, I've got a 44 pistol, haven't seen a 7.62x39 pistol that often

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
Yup... owned both, still have the 44 mag rifles and Trapper.

The fact is the 7.62x39 is a "30-30 Light". It'll do pretty much what a 30-30 will do - only 50 yards less (closer to you).

Todays 44 magnum carbines/rifles are for all intents and purposes the ballistic equal of the 30-30. Yes, the 30-30 has a better BC. But in all practicality, there's not a lot of difference between the two - OTOH, the 429 bullet makes a decidedly bigger hole than does the 308 bullet.

Fow many years now, my old 30-30 has stayed home in favor of my 44 magnum rifles and Trapper.

My Mini 30 was never anything other than a plinker kept for use if and when al qaida come charging down Mian Street in my home town :roll:

ETA: and if you're thinking of the Ruger 44 magnum carbine, I had one of the old tube magazine models I got on a trade many years ago. Sold it to a LEO who took it to Hawaii for pig hunting and lost it there so I heard. The big problem with the newer model for me was the 4 round magazine capacity. Plenty enough for hunting, but for other serious uses... any lever gun beat it all to heck for utility IMO.

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Guys, thanks for your input........right now, I have a Ruger 44 mag carbine (the old style with tube magazine), a Mini30, a Ruger #3 in 44 mag, a recently restored Marlin 1881 in 45/70..............

and now it looks like I'm about to 'inherit' a 10/22 and a Remington 760 30-06 pump from my father-in-law..............I've got to clear something out of the house to maintain marital bliss, if you know what I mean. It's starting to look like the 44 mag carbine is gonna be the odd man out...............it's job is more or less duplicated by the Marlin, the Mini30 and the Remington pump......

Kanook

Buckeye
You can still buy a Mini 30 NIB. You can't do that with the 44 tube fed.

Think first long and hard on that one.

hittman

Staff member
Kanook":s820od5c said:
You can still buy a Mini 30 NIB. You can't do that with the 44 tube fed.

Think first long and hard on that one.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Collecting and securing good guns, both long and short, is being done by fewer and fewer people. I can't really imagine getting rid of a good shooting gun in this day and time. and if it was a bad one, how and who would you honestly pass it on to?

There is a joke in there about something / someone having to go to keep marital bliss, but I can't quite get it right......

targshooter

Bearcat
I own both the Mini-30 and the .44 Deerfield. For hunting I would keep the Deerfield; for target shooting the Mini-30. I use the Deerfield with its factory peep and the Mini-30 is a Series 189 with the carbine peep installed.
Also, Ruger no longer makes a .44 carbine, so future collectibility may be a factor as someone mentioned.

gatormark

Bearcat
Floated the barrell on my mini 30 plus a few other little dittys, it does better than my 44 so the 44 went away. I have no complaints about the stainless synthetic stock mini 30, and beleive me it gets used and abused on the ranch.

EBellville

Bearcat
I have owner both a Mini 14 and a Mini 30. Sold them both with no regrets. Had a .44 Carbine I sold years ago and it haunted me till I replaced it. I now have 2, and no, neither is for sale. Of course if you are selling yours, PM me.

The SKS in paratrooper format (short barrel - never really produced by ANY country, just cut off and sold as such by importers) , specially the model M or Model D (I believe that's correct) use AK mags and IMHO shoot better than the mini 14. I have one in a Tapco stock that I use for wild hogs.

The .44 carbine is a top 3 rifle and I have had most everything at one time or the other. The Mini's wouldnt make my top 10, and niether woulr the SKS or an AK. Just my 2cents.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got a mini 30, but darn the .44 mag Deerfield would come in handy for up close hogs and my pastures are full of them, if I ever run up on one I will snatch it up fast (like I really need another rifle, I dont use the ones I got other that a couple of the ones that stay up in the front of the safe) I never really thought that in this part of Texas a Deerfield would be of much use, the hogs have changed my mind.

EBellville

Bearcat
I have two Model .44 carbines (old models 1976 and 1978) and a 2000 year production of Mini-30 stainless. I love the carbines. The Mini-30 needed a Accu-Bar to shoot decent but now gives 2" groups at 100 yards. Getting about the same from my .44's.

I'd give up the Mini before I gave up a .44.
:?

A

Anonymous

I had a Ruger mini-30 and never really cared all that much for it so I sold it. In 7.62x39 I much prefer my Norinco SKS M or either of my AK's.

Latest posts