Mini-6.8

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jarhead05

Bearcat
New to the list... a few questions about the Mini-6.8.

It appears Ruger no longer lists this rifle on their web site. Am I correct in assuming it was discontinued?

Any idea of how many were made?

gig

Single-Sixer
I have two mini 6.8's.... On one I have a Bushnell holosight and on the other a Leupold VXl 2x7x33.
Have taken hogs with both and are well pleased.

Last evening my son and I found them coming out of a canyon to feed on a nearby wheat field. They were lined up in a row walking up the narrow trail. My son was at the head of the trail with a FNAR and I was on the next ridge carrying the 6.8 with the Leupold.

He shot first and continued shooting, said he got 5.
I had to wait until they ran a bit from his postion because they were right under his feet. At one point I saw the babies running on both sides of him.

When some turned to go back down, I was able to get a clear shot away from him.
I got two in the bottom of the canyon and they both dropped when I hit them. (When the bullet hits a hog, there is a noticable "thud".)

After the excitement I measured my two at about 150yd with a range finder.

The mini 14 in 6.8 is the lightest to carry and most effective semi-auto firearm I have ever owned.

Jarhead05

Bearcat
I've had the rifle for two years, although it's a safe queen.

In theory at least, the 6.8 is superior to all its competitors. But when the Army lost interest, the likelihood of cheap ammo went away. I reload, I have 6.8 dies, but I'd rather have a rifle chambered for something I can find everywhere and cheap.

I'll probably troll the gun shows for a Mini-30. Besides, I've got several ARs... need something in 7.62x39, too.

RonS

Single-Sixer
I just wish I could find one. Hit the gun show yesterday and GM today, several Minis and Ranch Rifles but no 6.8s. Prices were also so high that they are making an AR look better all the time.