Mini-30 rear peep sight question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
The newer Mini-30's have a military looking rear peep sight, while my older model (189-81XXX) has the flip up. Will the newer sight fit (and work with the front blade)on my rifle? and if so, do I have to order all the individual parts from Ruger or will they sell the complete sight? Or is there a better option? I'm not putting my scope back on it.
Thanks!
Tom

I think you might have to ask Ruger unless someone here has both. I presume you don't or the answer would be obvious, take the new one off and see if it fits the old one.

I put a Williams peep sight on my older mini-30.

I found a close up of the new sight you are talking about on the Ruger factory sight here:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ ... tures.html

(click on sighting system on left side of picture)

It looks like it might... depending on the cost, I might try it.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I put a New England Custom Gun rear sight on my old Mini 30.

Mini30099.jpg

It got all that Mini would give out of it :wink:

targshooter

Bearcat
OJC,
The older flip up (as on the 189 Series) and the newer "military" look alike peep rear sights (as on the 580 series) are not interchangeable. My Series 189 wears a carbine aperture from Accuracy Systems; see below, scroll down about 2/3 of presentation tile.
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/m ... sories.php
I like this sight a lot. It does need to be loc-tighted into place. Mine is on at 200 yards with the 250 yard setting. To me it appears this outfit got their hands on a lot of US M-1 Carbine rear sights and altered them ever so slightly so they can be held in place on the older 189 receiver using the receiver with no modifications. I have about 500 rounds through the rifle with this sight and have had no problems. Great sight picture, especially with the stock Ruger front sight that came on the firearm.