Mini 30 Peep Sight Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GM Shooter

Bearcat
I have an older Mini-30 with the folding leaf adjustable rear peep sight. It's the type with two set screws you loosen to raise and lower the sight. I have always used a scope on it and have been happy with it's accuracy. Today I took it to the range intending on sighting it in with the iron sights. At both 50 and 100 yds, with the rear sight as high as it would go, it still shot low. At 100 yds I had to aim six inches high. I am shooting handloads; 150 gr JSP at around 1950 fps. Ruger states that I have a .308 bore and that is what I am reloading.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any suggestions?

Thanks a heap,

Steve

X - Man

Bearcat
GM Shooter; I recall reading, somewhere, that the rear peep sight is available in several different sizes/heights. Try calling Ruger customer service and inquire. It does not have a separate part number, as shown on the parts list for a Mini-14.

I'd bet that Ruger c/s has more info.

GM Shooter

Bearcat
X-Man:

You were correct, thank you very much! I contacted Ruger this morning (Saturday) and received a prompt reply by the end of the day (THANKS RUGER FOR THE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!). They said:

We do have higher rear sights, Part number # MS25502 High. # MS25503 EX-High. You can call our parts department at 603-865-2442, with your serial number and they will supply the parts you need.

Best Regards,

GM Shooter