Mini-30 Owners opinion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I've been away for awhile so I know my question will probably be redundant but I don't want to search every post ever made. I would like to ask those who own a Mini-30 their opinion of that model. I have owned several Mini-14's in years gone by. I presently own a AK-47 but miss owning a Mini and would like to buy one eventually to go with the AK. I figure the Mini-30 may be the best of both worlds as I can keep the ammo purchases down to a minimum instead of having to stock up of a multitude of calibers. I'm guessing it might be a little picky with the steel cased Russian stuff but would do fine with brass case.

kwg020

Bearcat
The Mini 30's have a problem with some Wolf steel case ammo. The primers are very hard and the Mini will not set them off. These hard primers also break firing pins and Ruger is the only good source for the pins. kwg

lctrcjim

Bearcat
gunny, my mini30 does not like steel cased ammo at all. I've heard that a stronger Wolf trigger spring fixes that issue. It's on my summer 'to-do' list.
Other than that, I've had no issues or problems with it. Sellier & Bellot and Fiocchi ammo both work very well in it - both are top notch quality & relatively inexpensive - not quite as cheap as Wolf & the other Russian brands, but quite a bit cheaper than Remington & Federal & Winchester.

It seems to be pretty accurate out to about 100yds - I've hit everything I've aimed at so far - it's a GREAT deer and hog rifle.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I have had both a Mini 30 and a Mini 14. Now I use an m1a. Over the years I put literally 1000s of rounds of steel cased Wolf ammo down range with absolutely zero problems.

The big thing about those 3 for me is they're legal in California. I would choose the 30 over the 14 every time without hesitation.

OTOH if I had. Choice i'd pick an AK over
a Mini 30... Or my SOCOM16 over all of them.

edited to add: sorry about the typos guys. I have a new iPhone nd the key pad is TINY.

I'm sure I had the only two "good" Mini 14 and 30 that Ruger ever made :wink:

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
That was going to be my next question, Accuracy. As I said, I've owned several Mini-14's in the past so I'm not expecting a tack driver. But I was wondering how the Mini-30's accuracy compares with the Mini-14. I suspect it should shoot a little bit more accurate than a AK which is a bullet hose but accurate enough for what it was designed for. I would guess the Mini-30's accuracy to be comparable to the SKS. Would I be right on this?

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
When I retired from the Marines, I had a M1903A1 Springfield, M-1 Garand and a Springfield M1A. I finally sold them because I needed the money and I can't find anywhere to shoot past 200yds in Illinois. It was kind of like owning a Ferrari and driving it in rush hour traffic.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
usmcgunny0369":32azpvzp said:
... I would guess the Mini-30's accuracy to be comparable to the SKS. Would I be right on this?

Maybe for the first three shots. But all the older Minis heat up FAST and the accuracy falls of more as the get hotter. I have a 1000 yard range on my ranch. Both my 14 and the 30 could put the first three rounds in a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Both could/would keep a "desk side" waste paper basket rolling at 300 yards even when they were hot. Any way you slice it that's a "torso" sized target.

Given your AO and current circumstances, I do believe a Mini 30 is what I'd prefer. And I'd have confidence that it'd get done what needed doing.

Mine went ONLY because I was finally able to buy an M1A for myself (a SOCOM16).

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
I also bought my mini-30 to compliment my MAK-90.
In time I sold the MAK and kept the 30.

I have fired a lot of the Norinko junk through it with no problems.
I have not fired any Russian ammo through it.

My Dad currently has the 30 and hunts with it.
He prefers it over his own guns and has offered to buy it.
I told him hunt with it all he wants but it ain't for sale.

IMHO it is a good gun to own.

onthehunt

Bearcat
I have 2,000 rounds of Wolf ammo through mine. No problems. Not a tack driver but no jams. I do hate that red lacquer crap they put on the primers though. It gets all over and is hard as hell to scrub off. It is more accurate than my AK.

RADAR

Bearcat
Who can't love a Mini 30. Mine's been to places in Alaska no tourist will ever see. It's taken Blacktails to Caribou, and lot's of small game. Have you ever had Spruce Hen or Porcupine roasted over a campfire...bring salt and pepper....
IMG_0036.jpg

189 series bought at Wally's in 1996, shoot's 2" groups at 100, all I shoot are .310 hand-loads. One of a few old Simmons Deerfield scopes I have mounted-decent scopes back then.

Ruger Nut10

Single-Sixer
I have shot all the different brands over the years and my gun likes Wolf 154gr soft points. Lots of deer and hogs have fell with that load. I have some Silver Bear 123sp to try soon. I just bought a box of Hornady sp to try also. I have had alot of FTF on the 122gr HP black box Wolf but in the field in aver 7 years never had a FTF with the 154 gr. 4" groups are the average but all my shooting is alot closer. I did make a strut for mine to see if that helps and did add buffers. So I hope to try all the combo's out next trip to the range.

Al James

Hunter
My mini 30 loves 28 grains of H332 under a .310 Hornady v max. With the Eotech forward mounted on a ultimak rail it shoots about 1.5" @ 50 yards----quickly. The groups tighten up if I'm running a traditional scope but I love the speed of the Eotech forward mounted. Accuracy suffers though because the dot covers .5" at 50 yards. Love it. Will probably do some work on the trigger and put it in a Hogue. Other than that I'm happy with the rifle. BTW I forgot to add that after boycotting the use of Wolf through my mini 14 I have never put one steel case in this rifle so I cannot speak of the accuracy or lack there of when using wolf.
mini30002.jpg

mini30003.jpg

sebtool

Blackhawk
Gunny, I'm not sure what part of Il. you're in, but there are 2 gun clubs I know of within 1 to 1-1/2 hrs of St. Louis with 600 yd ranges, 1 with a 500 yarder.
I'm looking for an M1A now, had to sell my supermatch 2 yrs ago. I shot my Mini 14 in an NRA High Power match a couple of times, and am looking to get back into it soon.
I'm going to check 1 out about 1-1/2 hrs south that has a 300 yd range this week, and see about joining. Seems that all past and present jarheads are welcomed, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed either! :lol:

Course they're all west of the Mississippi.... :wink:

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
I live in a little town about 45 miles East by SouthEast of St Louis. I am familiar with the range out in Wright City, Mo. it has the National Match Course. Thought about joining. Right now I work midnights with Tue & Wed off. Probably won't find much time for awhile.

sebtool

Blackhawk
Ouch - that schedule sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I shot at Wright City way back in '96 with my Mini, which is what prompted me to get the Supermatch.

1 of the other clubs is at Owensville, Mo. In fact, they're having an M1 for a Vet match 4/18/10. I emailed for some raffle tickets. They're going to have the drawing at 8 a.m. that day, with a CMP match to follow. Guy seemed pretty decent, said there would probably be an extra Garand around if I wanted to shoot that day. If I have the time, I might just take him up on that. If you're interested, I can send you his email.

usmcgunny0369

Bearcat
Sure, I'll stow it away. I may just have to get another Garand and get back into competition. I was the SNCOIC of several Marine Rifle/Pistol Teams and miss it. Just wish my eyes were still the same as then. Not sure but I believe the Garand Match is all 200yds isn't it? That's what I saw on American Rifleman when they were showing the CMP Garand Match at Camp Perry.