Mini 30 or Mini 14 ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Been looking at getting a Ranch Rifle that will knock a Deer out and perhaps a 2 legged-ed one if needed.
I live in Calif. so not sure about the mag i.e. can I have a 20 Round Mag in a rifle ? as Ruger offers two choices here a 5 round or a 20 round for the Mini 30, so next question would be how are the pro mags in a 10 round mag.
Anybody have any suggestions as to a mini 30 (7.62x39) or mini 14 in the .223 or 6.8, Please Responses from owners or previous owners of the Mini's.
Also input about the Accuracy to about 150yds, i.e. will it keep a 4"-5" group at 150 yds or ???, I do not expect the Accuracy of a 300 mag bolt, etc... 8)

I Finally decided and I Have Purchased a new Ruger Mini 30 Ranch, picked it up March 10th. :lol:
I will post the Shooting results, i.e. the Accuracy of this Rifle and a few General Commits here as soon as I get a Chance to Play with my New Toy :roll: .., I will also post results of the Ammo I try http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=79514 here. 8) and I will post the results/My findings of the ProMag 10rd Magazine http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=78433 here. 8)

I would like to thank all of you for your Contributions on this forum. :D

I'm pretty sure you a limited to 10 rounds or less....

I'm not a hunter and plenty will tell you that .223 will work on small deer... If I was going to go after them... the 7.62 would probably be my minimum.

After market mags are a problem with the mini's more so with the 30 than the 14.... I say this because you can get 10 rounders for either from any number of suppliers but it will be a gamble as to quality.

Ruger does sell a 10 round mag for the mini 14... that maybe your deciding factor.

If you go with the mini-30 I've got some 10 round 'American Eagle brand (I think) mags and you can have one or two... I tried one and it didn't work worth a hoot... but it could be because they are plastic and need to be broken in. they are the clear plastic type.

with a new mini 14 or 30 you should be okay with accuracy out to 150 yards with good ammo.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
blume357":2ah9flu3 said:
I'm pretty sure you a limited to 10 rounds or less....

I'm not a hunter and plenty will tell you that .223 will work on small deer... If I was going to go after them... the 7.62 would probably be my minimum.

After market mags are a problem with the mini's more so with the 30 than the 14.... I say this because you can get 10 rounders for either from any number of suppliers but it will be a gamble as to quality.

Ruger does sell a 10 round mag for the mini 14... that maybe your deciding factor.

If you go with the mini-30 I've got some 10 round 'American Eagle brand (I think) mags and you can have one or two... I tried one and it didn't work worth a hoot... but it could be because they are plastic and need to be broken in. they are the clear plastic type.

with a new mini 14 or 30 you should be okay with accuracy out to 150 yards with good ammo.

Thank you for your Input/ Info, I am leaning towards the mini 30 but still on the fence due to the Mag issue, Not sure why Ruger Hasn't came out with 10 rd Mag for the 30, even worse for the 6.8 only a 5 rd Mag.

The Ballistics for the 6.8 are Impressive 2,775 fps / 1,966 ft. lbs, .223 is 3,020 fps / 1,255 ft. lbs and the 7.62x39 is 2,365 fps / 1,527 ft. lbs., and keep in mind this was my research with one manufacture and even with one manufacture some ammunition varies some more so than others i.e. in the .223 round there are several different gr. to compare, I used the garden variety 55gr. for the .223, 110gr. for the 6.8 and the 123gr. for the 7.62x39 all were FMJ.

However the 6.8 even with the Best overall Ballistics I wiil Not go with, the rounds are somewhat difficult to find, and only a 5 rd Mag without going to a promag or another after market company.

As for the .223 well fastest round but least amount of Punch upon Impact at 1,255 ft. lbs, however any Mag you want 5/10/20/30 Round Mags from the Factory.

The Mini 30, still sounds funny saying Mini 30, OK I will get off that soap box, at any rate the Mini 30 in the "7.62x39" Round is also vary Impressive and deserves it's due as well coming in at 1,527 ft. lbs of Punch and the Largest in Dia. of all the Calibers. if the Mini 30 had a factory 10 rd. Mag my search would be over, well not in a big hurry and appreciate the feed back.

Not much of a Hunter either, but get out from time to time.

Looking for an overall Gun for Hunting and also if the SHTF, and Personal Protection.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Also will be looking for a Scope Mount, that will allow me to use the factory sights as well leaving a Scope attached, if they make one, any suggestions or opinions on them.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
In California you are limited to a 10 round magazine - period.

Which Mini depends on how you intend to use it (or "What you intend to shoot with it.")

Think of the Mini 30 as a 30-30 "Light" It'll do anything a 30-30 will do only 35 yards closer in. Yup, it'll take a deer.

Accuracy wise, both my Mini 30 and Mini 14 will consistently roll an office sized waste basket at 300 yards. At 100 yards, both will group 3 to 4 inches for the first few shots, but both rifles' barrels heat up rapidly and accuracy quickly falls off and group size opens up accordingly.

Frankly, I much prefer the 7.62x39 to the 223. I think the bigger bullet greatly enhances the rifles overall application as a sporting arm, a utility arm, and as a defensive arm. As well, I much prefer the Ranch Rifle configuration to the Mini-14.

The greatest thing about the Ruger Mini-xx is they always go bang when you pull the trigger! ...even in the blowing sand of the desert.

I put a New England Custom Gun sight on my shooter....

Mini30099.jpg

Mini30097.jpg

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Old Judge Creek":kgfqafgw said:
In California you are limited to a 10 round magazine - period.

Which Mini depends on how you intend to use it (or "What you intend to shoot with it.")

Think of the Mini 30 as a 30-30 "Light" It'll do anything a 30-30 will do only 35 yards closer in. Yup, it'll take a deer.

Accuracy wise, both my Mini 30 and Mini 14 will consistently roll an office sized waste basket at 300 yards. At 100 yards, both will group 3 to 4 inches for the first few shots, but both rifles' barrels heat up rapidly and accuracy quickly falls off and group size opens up accordingly.

Frankly, I much prefer the 7.62x39 to the 223. I think the bigger bullet greatly enhances the rifles overall application as a sporting arm, a utility arm, and as a defensive arm. As well, I much prefer the Ranch Rifle configuration to the Mini-14.

The greatest thing about the Ruger Mini-xx is they always go bang when you pull the trigger! ...even in the blowing sand of the desert.

I put a New England Custom Gun sight on my shooter....

Mini30099.jpg

Mini30097.jpg

I Live in a Rural Area in Southern Ca., however I have neighbors 100 yards to any side of me, but I don't have to travel vary far maybe a few miles or so and be out of range with a rifle.

We have Bobcats, some Mountain Lions, and the usual Coyote, Wild Dogs, Rattle Snakes etc...

I also Like to have something other than my KP85 9mm around for Personal Protection.

I would get the Mini in a Ranch Model either way Mini 30 (7.62x39) or Mini 14 (.223)

Nice Pic and I thank you for the response.

308dave

Bearcat
I've taken 3 MN whitetails with my 6.8 Ranch, all one shot kills with no problems. The DNR legalized the .223 for deer 2 years ago for deer but it's still on the light side for me. The 6.8 SPC is basically a .270 short and I used a 115 gr Rem Ultra Corelokt on my first deer and 110 gr SSA Sierra Pro Hunters on the last 2. My longest shot was 75 to 80 yds but I would confidently shoot a deer at 200 yds with it. Accuracy is 2.5" to 3" groups at 100 yds and I'm not the world's greatest shot. Ammo for the other calibers is a lot cheaper and easier to find but I don't do any plinking with the 6.8 - it's strictly for deer hunting.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
If you are in Ca then 10 rounds is max. If you hunt game in Ca then 5 rounds is max. The mini30 ranch would be my choice. "I" think the 223 is to small to hunt deer with unless you are very, very carefull on picking your shot. I have killed one deer with a bolt action 223 but would not hunt them with one on a normal basis.
I own both a mini30 and mini14 in ranch models. Get the 30 and put a 4X csope on it and you are in business. Remember to use a soft point ammo and not FMJ for hunting. Also if you are in the no-lead zone you will have to use no-lead ammo.
I am not a big 270 fan but the 6.8 model would also work.

Just put a scope on it with the factory rings and avoid the see-thru rings etc which is just a sign of a true amatuer/beginner. Buy a Leupold and you will not have to worry about the scope going bad. If your scope goes bad use another rifle or remove the scope and use the open sights. It only requires twwo screws to loosen to remone the factory rings on a ranch model.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
308dave":g9vtblq7 said:
I've taken 3 MN whitetails with my 6.8 Ranch, all one shot kills with no problems. The DNR legalized the .223 for deer 2 years ago for deer but it's still on the light side for me. The 6.8 SPC is basically a .270 short and I used a 115 gr Rem Ultra Corelokt on my first deer and 110 gr SSA Sierra Pro Hunters on the last 2. My longest shot was 75 to 80 yds but I would confidently shoot a deer at 200 yds with it. Accuracy is 2.5" to 3" groups at 100 yds and I'm not the world's greatest shot. Ammo for the other calibers is a lot cheaper and easier to find but I don't do any plinking with the 6.8 - it's strictly for deer hunting.

Interesting Round to say the least and I might add Vary noteworthy, however the lack of easy access to this ammo and it's price is pushing me away from the 6.8 SPC

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Divernhunter":38f8sdv5 said:
If you are in Ca then 10 rounds is max. If you hunt game in Ca then 5 rounds is max. The mini30 ranch would be my choice. "I" think the 223 is to small to hunt deer with unless you are very, very carefull on picking your shot. I have killed one deer with a bolt action 223 but would not hunt them with one on a normal basis.
I own both a mini30 and mini14 in ranch models. Get the 30 and put a 4X csope on it and you are in business. Remember to use a soft point ammo and not FMJ for hunting. Also if you are in the no-lead zone you will have to use no-lead ammo.
I am not a big 270 fan but the 6.8 model would also work.

Just put a scope on it with the factory rings and avoid the see-thru rings etc which is just a sign of a true amatuer/beginner. Buy a Leupold and you will not have to worry about the scope going bad. If your scope goes bad use another rifle or remove the scope and use the open sights. It only requires twwo screws to loosen to remone the factory rings on a ranch model.

Thank you for reply, there is nothing like a reply from the owners of these guns especially to find a few who happen to own both models.

Not sure about my zone being lead free or not I live in Southern CA. where would I go to find out.

As for the Scope maybe I give that idea up all together, as we encounter a fair amount Diamond Back Rattle Snakes here and they do not seam to care that they show up at or near your feet.

Thank You again.

personally If I were you I would not consider the 6.8 rifle. Reason is from what I gather this will be your first or number one rifle and I don't think this 'exotic' caliber is good for that. .223 or 7x62 x 39 is much better for practice and fun... and most of all cheaper. It's not good when you are shooting and your wallet starts feeling like it is burning.

If you go new with either rifle I think your only choice now is a ranch model. I prefer a stainless ranch myself with the composite (plastic) stock. I believe you can get see through scope rings but not absolutely sure... but this changes the parlex issue with distance on the scope greatly. A scope might be fun to see which ammo is best for the rifle and to see how good you can shoot it... for me if I was hunting deer or such... I'd go with Iron sights.

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
I have both the mini 14 and 30.

I would not deer hunt with the mini-14. Years ago most states required at least a .240 minimum. That may change. In any case it sucks to follow blood trails to hunt a deer after a misplaced shot.
A 5 round mag is all you need to hunt and may be illegal for a bigger mag in some states.

My mini 30 is currently being "borrowed" by my Dad.
He borrowed it once to deer hunt and offered to buy it soon afterwards.
I told him to keep it as long as he wants and I will keep his M416 trailer as collateral. He has since killed 4 deer and 2 hogs with it.
He will turn 75 this year so I don't know how long he will continue to hunt.

I did visit the gun this winter and it is in perfect shape. The scope has a little problem as the reticle has shifted but he knows how to use it.

If you plan to Deer Hunt I would get the mini-30. It has more knockdown.

I plan to get a 6.8 someday to add to my collection. It will be a while as I pick up my SR-556 next week. One at a time...

SReagle

Single-Sixer
blume357":1k6nj8l4 said:
personally If I were you I would not consider the 6.8 rifle. Reason is from what I gather this will be your first or number one rifle and I don't think this 'exotic' caliber is good for that. .223 or 7x62 x 39 is much better for practice and fun... and most of all cheaper. It's not good when you are shooting and your wallet starts feeling like it is burning.

If you go new with either rifle I think your only choice now is a ranch model. I prefer a stainless ranch myself with the composite (plastic) stock. I believe you can get see through scope rings but not absolutely sure... but this changes the parlex issue with distance on the scope greatly. A scope might be fun to see which ammo is best for the rifle and to see how good you can shoot it... for me if I was hunting deer or such... I'd go with Iron sights.

I used to have/ own a 308 well till some Rat #@*&*%* stole it...., So with that said you can see why I am leaning towards the 7.62x39, if memory serves me correctly the 308 was/ is 7.62x54 ?, I also own a 22LR Rifle for what ever thats worth.

Either the Mini 14 in a .223 or more than Likely I will go with the Mini 30 "7.62x39"

Iron Sights sounds good too.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
This isn't the first post by a mile that refers to the Mini-14 as .223. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it was my belief that Ruger chambered the earlier 14's as 5.56. The main reason I would like to get this squared away is I have a chance to buy a 1977 model but I have never actually held one. What is it marked as, .223 or 5.56?

they are marked .223 but Ruger plainly says you can shoot 5.56 nato rounds , in it. Some rifles, I think pretty much bolt action targets, that are chamber truly in .223 should not be shot with 5.56 but the Mini 14 is good to go with them..

As for the 7.62 diameter.... that was pretty much or close to the diameter of all military rounds during the first part of the 20th century. At least during the second world war and just afterwards.... the .223 was developed during the vietnam war so that our guys could carry more ammo and thus spray and pray more.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
blume357":n4mz5nf5 said:
they are marked .223 but Ruger plainly says you can shoot 5.56 nato rounds , in it. Some rifles, I think pretty much bolt action targets, that are chamber truly in .223 should not be shot with 5.56 but the Mini 14 is good to go with them..

As for the 7.62 diameter.... that was pretty much or close to the diameter of all military rounds during the first part of the 20th century. At least during the second world war and just afterwards.... the .223 was developed during the vietnam war so that our guys could carry more ammo and thus spray and pray more.

Thanks Blume. appreciate it. It's really coincidental in that I stopped at Wally World about 10PM just last night and both the guy and gal were unpacking ammo. The only ammo they had in the cart was several cases of Federal .22 Value Paks of qty 350 @ $11.97 and several cases of Winchester 5.56 NATO in 10rnd pkgs - don't remember what they were asking for. They had never heard of 5.56 and indeed they didn't even have a space on the shelf for 5.56. I told them to stick it next to the .223 bulk paks they had and most shooters would know. However I DID tell them that a marked 5.56 would feed anything but vice versa wasn't a great idea because of the higher pressure. Glad to hear about the mini but maybe I should stick to the .223 just to decrease wear? Or could I put in a heavier recoil spring and new buffer for 5.56 use, or just not worry at all?

Sig685

Single-Sixer
SReagle":bspfi86v said:
I used to have/ own a 308 well till some Rat #@*&*%* stole it...., So with that said you can see why I am leaning towards the 7.62x39, if memory serves me correctly the 308 was/ is 7.62x54 ?, I also own a 22LR Rifle for what ever thats worth.

Either the Mini 14 in a .223 or more than Likely I will go with the Mini 30 "7.62x39"

Iron Sights sounds good too.

Fire that memory, it's playing tricks on you. The .308 Winchester is the civilian equivalent of the military 7.62 NATO AKA 7.62X51. The 7.62X54R is the rimmed Soviet cartridge of Dragunov fame.

The original 7.62X39 was in actuality .311 in diameter, not .308 but I think that changed or maybe not; I'm not quite sure as I never bothered with that crappy cartridge, I leave it to third world peasants.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
FJ40INTOW":1l1rj1ys said:

I would not deer hunt with the mini-14. Years ago most states required at least a .240 minimum. That may change. In any case it sucks to follow blood trails to hunt a deer after a misplaced shot.
A 5 round mag is all you need to hunt and may be illegal for a bigger mag in some states.

I told him to keep it as long as he wants and I will keep his M416 trailer as collateral. He has since killed 4 deer and 2 hogs with it.

I did visit the gun this winter and it is in perfect shape. The scope has a little problem as the reticle has shifted but he knows how to use it.

I plan to get a 6.8 someday to add to my collection. It will be a while as I pick up my SR-556 next week. One at a time...

Thank you for taking the time to write, I appreciate the response.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
DonD":pngniuwx said:
SReagle":pngniuwx said:
blume357":pngniuwx said:
The Ballistics for the 6.8 are Impressive 2,775 fps / 1,966 ft. lbs, .223 is 3,020 fps / 1,255 ft. lbs and the 7.62x39 is 2,365 fps / 1,527 ft. lbs.,

Don't know where you got the ballistics numbers for the 6.8 SPC but Remington lists 1759 ft lbs out of a 24" barrel, Silver State lists 2575 fps with a 110 gr out of a 16" barrel for 1619 ft lbs. My Mini 30 runs 2475 fps with 123 gr Fiocchi for 1672 ft lbs. I think a lot of people are hot rodding the 6.8 SPC. Don't think the 6.8 has anything over the 7.62x39 at say under 200 yds and has more frontal area. Don

OK Don, and Thank you for you time and your Comments.

Any chance of getting the web page for the Muzzle Velocity & Enegry sorted by the length of the barrel, Please...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=249206
well here is one web site that shows the Remington Spec's on the 6.8 , sorry I could not find the other web site.
Technical Information: Remington Express 115 Grain Hollow Point
Muzzle Velocity: 2800 fps
Muzzle Energy: 2002 ft. lbs.
But nothing on a per Barrel Length basis, That would be of Great Interest to me and perhaps many others whom may read this.

Thank you again for your time and your Valuable Info.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
SReagle":2jttp5it said:
FJ40INTOW":2jttp5it said:

Thank you for taking the time to write, I appreciate the response.

And I apologize for hijacking the thread