Mini 30 or Mini 14 ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sig685

Single-Sixer
I'll say again, if you think a better trigger is your ticket to better shooting, you're only lying to yourself.

Marksmanship is very simple: Aim the sights to the target and then actuate the trigger without moving the sights. That's all.

In the example Guppy was talking about, he's looking at 2MOA groups at 100 yards on a bench. If you need a phenomenal trigger to achieve that, you need to take up golf of something less stressful like shuffleboard.

On the other hand, a classified competition shooter, holding on target at 1000 yards is completely aware of every force exerted on the rifle. Looking through my 36X scope, I can see the 1/8 MOA target dot vibrating on the 10 ring at 2 o'clock as the wind is pushing against my rifle. I have to control my heartbeat to prevent the jump in the scope and I have to make sure that I do not touch the wood with my trigger finger. Because of the movement I detect in the scope, it is CRITICAL that the rifle fire exactly when I want, so I want no creep and minimal weight on the trigger. I must know what the sight picture was when the trigger was pulled and the rifle fired.

To an observer examining my shooting, the rifle is rock solid and he can detect no movement whatsoever. Everything is infinitesimal. But then again, we are now far removed from the Mini-14 at 100 yards.

I'll say again, if you think a better trigger is your ticket to better shooting, you're only lying to yourself.

bcp

Bearcat
Most hunters use bolt actions with 3-5 mag capacity and don't feel a need for more. Many others use single shots and muzzle loaders. Why do so many semi-auto users consider 5 rounds a major handicap when hunting, specifically? I never wanted or needed any more with my Mini-14 (for hunting).

Bruce

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Sig685":3o67fgxo said:
I'll say again, if you think a better trigger is your ticket to better shooting, you're only lying to yourself...Snip !...I'll say again, if you think a better trigger is your ticket to better shooting, you're only lying to yourself.

I don't see where anyone said that. Myself or Guppy. Nice try at a CYA answer but you failed. Miserably. :roll:

SReagle

Single-Sixer
I would like to Thank All those who have left a Post here and for all the wonderful advice and help I received.

I especially want to Thank blume357 for his Patience and responses to my PM, also all the helpful advice here as well.

I Have Purchased a new Ruger Mini 30 Ranch.

I am going to start another Forum about Ammo for the mini 30.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
First time out at the Range with my new Mini 30.

Had a Great time, shot about 240 rounds thru it and only had one problem that was with the trigger housing assembly and it came out on me three times not sure what to think about that I will contact Ruger and see if they aware of any known problems like this for this particular rifle.
It could of been for what ever reason that after the first time I just did not have it re-fastened well enough as the two other times it happened was right after the first time.

Now with that out of the way Had a BLAST I mean a BLAST.............
and No Regrets, Love the Mini 30.

after I have been to the Range a few more times I will update here.

Here are some of my other forums perhaps some of you might be interested in. :roll:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=78433

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=79514

Sandy R

Bearcat
SReagle":1lh20o2z said:
I would like to Thank All those who have left a Post here and for all the wonderful advice and help I received.

I especially want to Thank blume357 for his Patience and responses to my PM, also all the helpful advice here as well.

I Have Purchased a new Ruger Mini 30 Ranch.

I am going to start another Forum about Ammo for the mini 30.

I've been lurking on this and a few of your other related threads while trying to decide myself on my next purchase. I have a few questions if you're willing to answer either or both of them.
1. Did you get the 2010 model 5806 KMini Thirty-P?
2. What kind of a discount did you get off the suggested price of $949?

Thanks in advance for any info.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
1. Yes. 2010 ranch
2. 800 to 850 plus tax and DROS, it was around this price I do not remember exactly
look for the Turners to have a sale, I did.

Sandy R

Bearcat
SReagle":1x31me8r said:
1. Yes. 2010 ranch
2. 800 to 850 plus tax and DROS, it was around this price I do not remember exactly
look for the Turners to have a sale, I did.

Thanks much for sharing.

Did you ever get the dropping trigger group fixed?

As for the comment on the top of the page about improving the trigger... I really can't quite figure out what Sig was saying unless he was just saying improving the trigger on a mini won't really make it shoot better because they are all "cr%p" anyway. Which is his opinion on all of them.

Improving the trigger will, in my opinion, improve ones shooting. I can't quite figure out how it would not. Once you get the basic mechanics down then a light, tight and crisp trigger pull is a much. Once again in my humble opinion.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
There are some who think that great paintbrushes will make them great artists.

I believe a true artist would still be great even with ordinary paintbrushes.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
blume357":35e9kvmv said:
Did you ever get the dropping trigger group fixed?

As for the comment on the top of the page about improving the trigger... I really can't quite figure out what Sig was saying unless he was just saying improving the trigger on a mini won't really make it shoot better because they are all "cr%p" anyway. Which is his opinion on all of them.

Improving the trigger will, in my opinion, improve ones shooting. I can't quite figure out how it would not. Once you get the basic mechanics down then a light, tight and crisp trigger pull is a much. Once again in my humble opinion.

Well I think that was my fault, I noticed that after awhile that i was placing my middle finger tight up against the back of the trigger guard and upon squeezing the trigger I was inadvertently pushing it forward and out upon firing the rifle with the recoil. I will keep you posted on the upgrades after I get a chance to shoot the rifle, recent rain is going to make the shooting ranges a muddy mess around here.

scaatylobo

Bearcat
SReagle":2wxc4u99 said:
blume357":2wxc4u99 said:
personally If I were you I would not consider the 6.8 rifle. Reason is from what I gather this will be your first or number one rifle and I don't think this 'exotic' caliber is good for that. .223 or 7x62 x 39 is much better for practice and fun... and most of all cheaper. It's not good when you are shooting and your wallet starts feeling like it is burning.

If you go new with either rifle I think your only choice now is a ranch model. I prefer a stainless ranch myself with the composite (plastic) stock. I believe you can get see through scope rings but not absolutely sure... but this changes the parlex issue with distance on the scope greatly. A scope might be fun to see which ammo is best for the rifle and to see how good you can shoot it... for me if I was hunting deer or such... I'd go with Iron sights.

I used to have/ own a 308 well till some Rat #@*&*%* stole it...., So with that said you can see why I am leaning towards the 7.62x39, if memory serves me correctly the 308 was/ is 7.62x54 ?, I also own a 22LR Rifle for what ever thats worth.

Either the Mini 14 in a .223 or more than Likely I will go with the Mini 30 "7.62x39"

Iron Sights sounds good too.
The NATO round is the same as the .308 and is designated as 7.62X51 so do not mix them PLEASE,and my vote goes to the 7.62X39 as it is prolific and will be available for a century.Also I believe that if it were not for the NIH syndrome we would be using the 7.62X39 in all our military guns even now.But that my NSHO s'all.btw - yes I have had a 5.56 and now a 7.62 mini and I go with the latter.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
When the mud clears up at Lytle Creek I will take the Mini-30 out again and give the results here.
I did have some work done on it,
1. Trigger job
2. Stock Bedded
3. and I installed a Shock Buffer

Well I have to agree with Sig's perspective then... but then I would take the Paint brush and artist perspective one step further and say the Rifle is the paint brush.... but that kind of throws his whole discounting of the minis in a different direction.

But I really don't want to stir up that debate again...

I'm learning that shooting a rifle well is a true art that takes discipline and skill. I'm actually trying to get better but am working on it at the opposite end from Sig. I'm shooting a 22lr with iron sights at 25 yards.

A good trigger (high quality paint brush) will surely make it easier to paint a better picture/.

If I'm coming through texas some time I'll let Sig put my SOG lower and trigger group on his AR and then try to hit that target at 1000 yards. :)

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Blume, if you make it to Texas, we will definitely go shooting and have a lot of fun.

I thought he was making them towards me and really took no or little offense.

No Sig I've never shot at 1000 yards and you have me on that... So, when I'm coming through texas I'll bring that SOG trigger and we'll see.

I thought he was making them towards me and really took no or little offense....

I think we might be debating just for the sake of debating. I've admitted my deficiencies in rifle shooting many times. It's a goal I have to do better. Unfortunately time and opportunity right now only allow me to self teach and there is a limit to how far I can go with this. And, as I mentioned, I have never shot at a thousand either... I have shot 300, once. I did do the Appleseed last month which 'fakes' 500 yards.

Then some folks are just naturals.... my father in 1948 could consistently put government rounds in the bulls eye of a 1000 yard target with most government issued rifles including the M1. He carried a BAR up past Ichon and at some point in time they took it away from him and gave him an '03 Springfield with a scope on it.

I agree Don... the only time I see to notice how bad a trigger is is when I'm shooting from a bench and have everything else perfect... then a nasty trigger feels like this big brick you are slowly dragging across gravel with one finger.

SReagle

Single-Sixer
got my mini 30 back from ASI,
had a trigger job about 3lbs & short pull about 3/16" - 1/4"
had it 3-point bedded.
had a buffer installed while it was there.
had an Adjustable Gas Block Installed.

I will give a more detailed report after I get a chance to shoot it.