Mini 30 Loose Factory Front Mount

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtrmkr

Bearcat
I have a new style Mini 30 and put a scope on it using the factory rings. After shooting it the front ring comes loose, not the back one. I tighten it up and then after a 30 or so rounds it is loose again. I dont want to have to use blue loctite because I heard it still loosens on these rifles and I want to be able to rely on the rifle to be accurate and shoot without my optics coming loose. I am thinking about a scout rail so I can add a Eotec or Leupold Scout Scope. I am a nut about cleaning my guns so after shooting them I like to strip them down and clean them up. What is the best scout rail for me to consider? I will be shooting the gun a lot and cleaning it a lot, cant change my cleaning issues at my age. Thanks for your advice.

DGW1949

Hunter
What you are experiencing is not an uncommon problem. Blue Loctite is the accepted solution. You can try the factory rail (which should have come with the gun) with a Weaver-type ring but you'll likely still need the Loctite.
And BTW, you're not doing yourself any favors by removing the barreled action from the stock after every firing session....just sayin'.

DGW

gtrmkr

Bearcat
I have been looking at the Ultimak M4-S scout mount/hand guard as platform for a Eotec or Leupold Scout scope. Anyone have this mount on a Mini 30 and is it a good part to add in your opinion. Thanks

DGW1949

Hunter
gtrmkr said:
I have been looking at the Ultimak M4-S scout mount/hand guard as platform for a Eotec or Leupold Scout scope. Anyone have this mount on a Mini 30 and is it a good part to add in your opinion. Thanks

It is a well made part which does what it's supposed to do, plus it also serves to draw some of the heat from the barrel.
Sometimes disassembling the gas block to install it can be a challenge, so you might want to study up on the in's and out's of that before jumping off into the job. Note also that the four gas block screws need to be equally (re)tightened to 28-30 INCH-pounds afterwards, AND that you may need to apply a touch of blue Loctite to their threads to insure that they stay put. Myself, I'd also want a set of new screws on hand before beginning...just in case the threads on one or more of the originals get mangled during removal.

Hope this helps and good luck in your endeavors.

DGW

gtrmkr

Bearcat
Thanks for that info. I just ordered the Ultimak M4-S and they are sending me lots of extra screws as well. I appreciate all your input and suggestions.