Mini 30 in 7.62x39

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pop

Bearcat
Does anyone own a new production Mini 30 in 7.62x39? How does it group with American made ammo from Remington and Federal and Winchester for hunting at 100 yards? Has anyone used the extension from accu -check on the new models? Thinking about getting one for hunting deer for under 150 yards. Was thinking about 223 fro deer hunting under 150 but having second thoughts. Another consideration for me is I don't hand load and don't want to start. Thank you for you replies.

You'll get lot's of opinions on this.... first the 7.62x39 round will in my opinion serve you much better for deer.. .223 is just too small.

I think you would be fine with a new mini 30 for what you are asking....

and just to bust your chops... a tad...
"mini 30 in 7.62x39" is redundant......... :)

pop

Bearcat
In Michigan any centerfire is legal for hunting. The dealer recomenended 223 and 60gr Federal Premiums bullets and neck shots only. He has several customers that do this. I have a friend at work that uses a 22-250 and uses neck shots and has shot quite a few that way. I have knowen him for 10 years and has gotten one every year since. I have been hunting for many years with 30-30 with many deer to my credit. I have always liked 30 cal or bettter for hunting big game thats why I was leaning towards the 7.62x39 but this 223 has me wondering!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
tomiswho":3icjy37y said:
I've always heard there are more deer killed with a .22 mag than any other caliber...

I don't think that is right. Over time the 30-30 has killed more deer. In one year it would be one of these.

Good article BTW.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/deer_rifle.htm

quote> The top six deer cartridges in North America, in terms of factory ammunition sales, are the .30-06 Spfd., .270 Win., .30-30 Win., .308 Win., .243 Win., and 7mm Rem. Mag. All of these are popular deer cartridges, but they are clearly diverse in their capabilities. <end

...Jimbo

woodpile":1vrgqzw2 said:
Blume I think the 6.8 spc mini was also called a mini 30. Steve

nope, I'm pretty sure that's a off cal mini-14.... but I think I'll go check....

then I could be wrong, I was once before.

As for the hunting part, I'm going to have to defer to others for that.... i was only speaking from my opinion and absolutely no experience... I have not hunted for over 30 years.... and then it was wabbits and birds.

kwg020

Bearcat
There are 3 Mini calibers. The .223/5.56, the 7.62x39 and the 6.8 with one exception and I will explain that. They all use the same barrel dimensions for the Ranch rifle, 18.5 by .625 at the front sight. The new barrel tapers from about .800 down to .625 at the front sight. The 7.62x39 and the 6.8 use the same stock, either wood or synthetic and The .223/5.56 has a slightly different stock and requires just a little work to adapt it to the other 2 calibers.

The exception is the Ruger Mini TARGET rifle. It has the .800 barrel all the way to the end of the barrel with a harmonic dampener at the front. It has NO fixed sights. It requires a scope and is supposed to be very accurate once you get the harmonic dampener set. It is recommended that you shoot .223 only. I don't have a good reason why other than that is what it says in the owners manual. Go to perfectunion.com and get updated info on the Mini's. kwg

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Pop, I have an old-style Mini30 & it works very well for deer & hogs. The new-style Mini's are supposed to be even better.

FWIW, I've had GREAT luck with Fiocchi and Sellier & Bellot ammo. A little more expensive than Wolf & the other Russian ammo, but still only 1/2 or 2/3 the price of Remington or the other American brands.

It's all top quality brass-cased. I used Fiocchi FMJ for the range - $9-$11 a box, Sellier & Bellot for hunting - soft point $12-$13 a box.