mini 30 cleaning oops used corrosive ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lctrcjim

Bearcat
I got some Yugoslavian ammo from my local gun shop on a whim - it was cheap & they assured me it's not corrosive (I normally use Fiocchi & have great luck with it). For what it's worth, the Yugo stuff shot great - I shot one box of 40 shells...........but.........poking around on the internet tonite, I read several posts that the Yugo ammo uses corrosive primers. Yikes!!!

Looks like I better hose down the mini 30 just in case. Is there anything I should clean beyond what is in the Ruger manual????

Thanks!!!

DGW1949

Hunter
Thoughly clean anything that comes in contact with the burnt powder residue.
Pay particular attention to the gas system.

I'd tend to the cleaning perty-quick...but don't panic over it.
We fought WWII with a semi-auto 30-06 which used corrosive ammo, and nobody's gun rotted away. In fact, a lot of USGI match-ammo continued using corrosive primers untill well into the 50's.

If you do use ammonia like CDF suggested, make dern sure that you get all of it out afterwards. Ammonia will attack steel, just like the corrosive salts that you're trying to get out.
Soap and hot water works real good for that.....followed by a through drying and then oil as usual.

DGW

lctrcjim

Bearcat
guys, thanks for your help & advice. I took it apart & it swabbed it all down - everyplace that would come in contact with combustion gas I cleaned first with ammonia, then dried & went over with RemOil. I DID NOT take the gas block apart, though.....................

thanks!!!

I may have missed something on the previous postings but the comment about the .30 carbine caught me. My information states that US made .30 carbine ammo was all noncorrosive primed.

Chief 101

Hunter
Mobuck":189pxetr said:
I may have missed something on the previous postings but the comment about the .30 carbine caught me. My information states that US made .30 carbine ammo was all noncorrosive primed.
yea, you missed something

A

Anonymous

Rule of thumb on corrosive ammo and gas guns: Wherever there's powder residue there are rusting salts, so gas system and all other parts need cleaned as well.

A

Anonymous

Chief 101":3mol207h said:
Mobuck":3mol207h said:
yea, you missed something

There's still a boatload of Chinese .30 carbine ammo out there that's corrosive as hell. They reverse engineered to round clear down to the LC 53 headstamp. I've got about 500 rounds to prove it.

I suppose it was made for places like Vietnam that has huge amounts of leftover carbines we left over there.

Latest posts