mini 14 twist rate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Sig685":j25xhp9p said:
Ok, I'll bite. What caliber is the bolt gun with the 1:14 twist that stabilizes the 80 gr bullet? What MV are you getting out of it with an 80gr bullet?

Its a 220 Swift. MV is only about 3100. They aren't the most accurate, but they don't keyhole.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
You could not fool me, I knew you were trying to trick us. No, they won't keyhole, but they won't properly stabilize either. As you up the velocity, you're overcoming some of the shortcomings of the slow twist rate, but you're also adding to the need for a faster spin due to greater air resistance.

I should think the bullet may settle down some further down range as the spin rate does not decrease anywhere near as much (if at all) as the forward velocity so the bullet actually gets more stable the further it goes.

The problem is that it may have started to precess before it was able to overcome its borderline instability and that cannot be corrected.

For the record I get an MV of 2850 with my 80grainers out of my match AR-15 and my twist rate is 1:7.7; perfectly stable from the muzzle outward.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
So, is there a reason why you insist on shooting long bullets in slow twists? I would think you would be much happier with something like a 52GR SMK in your 1:14 twist and especially in the 1:12 twist for the .223.

The 77gr is not terribly long but it certain does not stabilize completely in your .223 bolt and you probably push it quite fast. I mean, 3 inches in 100 yards is almost as bad as a Mini-14, but any decent bolt gun should be able to get a group under 1.5 inch and some quite a bit under that.

Or are you out to just prove something?

I wonder how things go when it gets really cold in Montana.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Do you ever get tired of being an ahole? I have yet to see one of your posts that is actually contributing to this board in any way other than degrading to users.

I said it can be done, not that I do it regularly.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Let me see, the thread here is "mini 14 twist rate." Mike7mm08 thinks he has a 1:10 twist and wants to confirm because this will eliminate some bullets from being fired in his rifle. He does indeed have a 1:10 (he measured it properly,) but he says he has bullets whose box says to use 1:9 twist.

Wwb replies correctly that a 60grain bullet would be optimum in a 1:10 barrel and goes on to recommend bulk 55gr FMJ as the cheapest plinking bullets. All very correct for an older Mini-14 in .223 Remington.

The next day, you pipe up with "I don't believe the optimum twist theories. I have 1-9 and 1-8 twist ARs and a 1-9 twist Mini 14, they all shoot every 40-80 grain bullet I've loaded very well. I've also got 1-14 and 1-12 twist bolt guns that also shoot the 40-80 grain bullets, there are some 80s that won't shoot as well, like the Hornady A-Max, but the Nosler CC 80s shoot very well. Sierra uses the same J4 jacket but the Noslers are 20% cheaper."

So, you just said that you shoot 80gr bullets in a 1:9 Mini14 and a 1:8 AR-15, "very well."

Then you say that you shoot 80gr Custom Competition Noslers out of 1:14 and 1:12 twist bolt guns "very well." (Your words, not mine.)

The discussion continues on for a bit and your post is ignored until the next day when wwb states he has a hard time with your 12 and 14 twist bolt guns shooting the 80 grain bullets. Another member, Lloyd Smale, states he also thinks that at .223 velocities you would have problems with these bullets and does mention this may work in a 22/250.

My first post on this thread was addressing X-man's post, I did not even address your claims.

Then you came back with the snippy retort to wwb where you said: "Apparently I don't know how my own guns are shooting, good thing the internet is the solution! How can I ever thank you guys enough!" I noticed that you still refused to say under which conditions you were seeing that, so I posted my question to you: "Ok, I'll bite. What caliber is the bolt gun with the 1:14 twist that stabilizes the 80 gr bullet? What MV are you getting out of it with an 80gr bullet?"

This is when you finally answered that you were using a 220 Swift and here we are discussing .223 Remington. I called you on that and you started changing your tune. All of a sudden, the 1:12 twist that shot the 80grs "very well (your words, not mine; see above,) was not even able to load the 80gr bullets, let alone shoot them. And the 77 grains that could chamber shot pretty badly. My, how the story evolved in a few posts.

I can understand you're angry at me for exposing your original claims as a hoax, there's no need to use vulgar language.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Nah, this stuff is easy and I know my sh*t when it comes to shooting. I can smell hoaxers from a 1000 yards away.

martyj

Blackhawk
Sig685":30ed6rp2 said:
Nah, this stuff is easy and I know my sh*t when it comes to shooting. I can smell hoaxers from a 1000 yards away.

You did a good job of sorting it all out. Ever think of running for President?

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Sorting things out is what I do for a living.

I could never run for political office, if you look at my various posts here, you can see that I do not always endear myself to people. While I do not get into ad hominem attacks, I am more than capable of using facts to bolster my point of view and writing comes very easy for me.

As I said earlier, I know my sh*t when it comes to shooting. I may question someone's taste in rifles, I may question their memory or their "facts," but I will never ever lie to or misdirect anyone in these forums. Does that mean I never make a mistake? I wish that were so, but when I do, I correct it.

I come here to have fun and share my extensive shooting knowledge, I just do not understand people who go to forums and pretend to be someone they are not or misrepresent themselves or their deeds.

Judging by the amount of private messages I receive here, I would say some people agree with that.

With that out of the way, now can we get back to arguing?

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Sig685":32foepth said:
Sorting things out is what I do for a living.

I could never run for political office, if you look at my various posts here, you can see that I do not always endear myself to people. While I do not get into ad hominem attacks, I am more than capable of using facts to bolster my point of view and writing comes very easy for me.
As I said earlier, I know my sh*t when it comes to shooting. I may question someone's taste in rifles, I may question their memory or their "facts," but I will never ever lie to or misdirect anyone in these forums. Does that mean I never make a mistake? I wish that were so, but when I do, I correct it.
I come here to have fun and share my extensive shooting knowledge, I just do not understand people who go to forums and pretend to be someone they are not or misrepresent themselves or their deeds.
Judging by the amount of private messages I receive here, I would say some people agree with that.
With that out of the way, now can we get back to arguing?

Is that so ?
Have a nice day ! :mrgreen:

(Sorry about the "off topic" comment. Please go back to your pontificating.)

Status
Not open for further replies.