MINI 14 TRIGGER ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

56-210

Bearcat
I did a search and didn't find what i needed...I recall a discussion about the 14 trigger assy and a trigger recommendation(s)...this is a 581 ser# and i cant stand the break ,if that's the correct terminology...smithing? Please excuse my rookie-ness... :oops:

Thanks in advance for replies and advice...

Mark

In theory you can do it yourself... but I would strongly suggest you have it done professionally... it doesn't cost that much and it is much safer... if you take too much off the rifle is rendered unsafe. Accuracy systems did mine.... the best thing to do is tell them how many lbs of pull you want. I had the advantage of actually testing some of the rifles they had already done... this was when the place was near me... they've moved back closer to you now I think.

but you can pull the trigger group and just send that in to get worked on.

Oh and you are right the mini's off the shelf trigger pull is pretty bad.. almost as bad as most AR's.

56-210

Bearcat
blume357":258yg16w said:
In theory you can do it yourself... but I would strongly suggest you have it done professionally... it doesn't cost that much and it is much safer... if you take too much off the rifle is rendered unsafe. Accuracy systems did mine.... the best thing to do is tell them how many lbs of pull you want. I had the advantage of actually testing some of the rifles they had already done... this was when the place was near me... they've moved back closer to you now I think.

but you can pull the trigger group and just send that in to get worked on.

Oh and you are right the mini's off the shelf trigger pull is pretty bad.. almost as bad as most AR's.

Thanks man...Nah, I have no interest in "Goofing" around with the trigger, just from the safety stand point...I've got a few 100 round through it so I'll let a Gunsmith do it...The gun store i purchased it from has a gunsmith... Sure would be nice to try some done jobs...Thanks for the advice & reply...

Mark

I paid around $60 about 4 years ago... but this was along with a lot of other stuff done to the rifle. So, I have no clue right now... bet you could google accuracy systems and their web sight would have a price listed. Might be what's linked above I didn't check.

I'm all in favor supporting local businesses but I would want to know that a local gun smith knows what he's doing and has done some of these before.

I did my own on a mini-30 and it is pretty good. But still suggest you pay to have it done right... I think I got real lucky on the 30.

56-210

Bearcat
blume357":92rfnn1r said:
what's linked

I'm all in favor supporting local businesses but I would want to know that a local gun smith knows what he's doing and has done some of these before.

That was their web site...Looking at it, they do some off the chain mini work...From what they list they do, I believe I'll save the gas and BS time with the guy here and give them a call...

Thanks, Mark

the reason I used Accuracy Systems was they were for a while located here in S.C. and oddly enough out in the backwoods of Edgefield county about 6 miles from my parents house. So, I just took my mini to them the day after thanksgiving (I think that's when it was)...

I said I wanted a trigger job and the guy said try these three and see which one you like.... he had one that I think the trigger pull on the rifle was like 1lb or something... scared the heck out of me.

What I had them do was the trigger job, cut my barrel down and put millet sites on it and a bedding job of the reciever....

the millet sites was a mistake... they didn't work for the Choate muzzle break I had on the front and they re-installed..
rifle shot like 3ft high at 100 yards... even when I put the old factory rear sight back on it shot high... I ended up gluing a small piece of SS brazing rod on the front sight to fix the problem.

Cutting the barrel down did help with the tracking of rounds as it heats up...

I'm not 'sold' on the bedding job... it sure makes it a pain to take the gun down to clean now.

If I had all this to do over again, I would have just changed out the barrel... I think that was and is the big problem on this mini... as with most.

I need to take it back to the range again and remind myself of how it shoots at 50 yards which is about the limit of it's potential now... I've move the trigger group to a different rifle (ranch I got from Ron Honner) that shoots as good as my M-4.

but the trigger job was sweet, to get back to the original question.