Mini-14 Target Model numbers - How do you identify them

Help Support Ruger Forum:

admiral1960

Bearcat
Hi,

New to forum.

Would like to buy a Mini 14 Target model.

Have seen numerous pictures showing "Ruger Ranch .223" & 580 followed by serial number.

Ruger lists the Target models as 5808 & 5828.

How are the rifles marked to show what model they are and how many variations are there to the target model.

Have looked for info on this but not seeing any.

Thanks !!!

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

Jbrown75

Single-Sixer
Pretty sure the Target model has that horrid barrel weight on it and is chambered in .223 Remington only.

VTXS

Bearcat
The first numbers prior to the dash is the model number of the mini 14. The numbers after the dash give you an idea of what period of time it was produced. If you have the serial number, go to the Ruger website, click on autoloading rifles. Look for the Customer Service tag at top of page, then go to Instruction Manuals and Product History. This will give you an idea of what you have.

Hope this helps

chet15

Hawkeye
The 5808 is catalog number KMini-14/5T with laminate stock
The 5828 is catalog number KMini-14/5TH with Hogue stock
Then there's also a 5845 which is a KMini-14/20TH with Hogue stock and 20 round mag. which apparently Ruger didn't make too many of.
Chet15

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Jbrown75 said:
Pretty sure the Target model has that horrid barrel weight on it and is chambered in .223 Remington only.

That horrid barrel weight is a tuner and they work quite well to tune your rifle to a particular load instead of tuning your load to the rifle. Factory ammo can be optimized using the tuner. I was ready to buy a Target until I learned the heavy barrel is from the gas block to the muzzle, it's normal diameter from the gas block to the receiver. I know they shoot well but that just doesn't seem like the way it should be done to me.