Mini-14 Tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Maineiac

Bearcat
Howdy, I just picked up a new Mini-14 Tactical. I love this rifle. The only thing I think needs changing is the flash hider. I would like to put a Smith Vortex on it. Does the factory hider unscrew like on my AR-15? If so are the threads the same? Thanks for the info in advance.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
Maineiac":5ac26h1k said:
Howdy, I just picked up a new Mini-14 Tactical. I love this rifle. The only thing I think needs changing is the flash hider. I would like to put a Smith Vortex on it. Does the factory hider unscrew like on my AR-15? If so are the threads the same? Thanks for the info in advance.

Why do you want to change it? I don't think it's welded on.

Maineiac

Bearcat
Called Ron Smith at Smith Ent. I wanted to install a Smith Vortex, it totally eliminates muzzle flash on my AR. He told me it's 9/16x24 thread. It's screwed on really tight, but I got it off and installed the Vortex. Wow!! I really love this rifle! Got some Ruger 20 and 30 round mags and I'm having a ball.

roninmd

Bearcat
Maineiac":7ud9jfeu said:
Called Ron Smith at Smith Ent. I wanted to install a Smith Vortex, it totally eliminates muzzle flash on my AR. He told me it's 9/16x24 thread. It's screwed on really tight, but I got it off and installed the Vortex. Wow!! I really love this rifle! Got some Ruger 20 and 30 round mags and I'm having a ball.

I thought / was told (?) that the flash hider was welded on.

Did you use any lubricant to get it off?

Maineiac

Bearcat
Nope not welded. Wrapped the barrel in an old piece of leather and clamped it tight in a barrel block. I heated the flash suppressor with a heat gun and pulled like the devil. Finally broke free and spun off easily. Put the Smith Vortex on hand tight, it's self tightening as you shoot the firearm. It totally eliminates muzzle flash, I love it. Best money I ever spent.

Maineiac

Bearcat
Not sure of the part number, go to their website. It's the only Vortex with a 9/16x24 RH thread. If all else fails, call them, they'll fix you right up. Good people!!

edorfox

Bearcat
Hi,

There are still some Tacticals left in the supply chain with the "old" 9/16ths x 24tpi but for informational purposes...the Mini-14 Tacticals are now being produced with 1/2" x 28tpi. (I have one) The new threading opens up a lot more options.

Ed

edorfox

Bearcat
roninmd":up6h5ob8 said:
Thanks for the info.

What is the Smith part number that you ordered for your mini tactical?

Hi,

An email from Ron Smith (Smith Enterprises) stated that the P/N1001RV will work for the 9/16ths x 24tpi Ruger Tacticals. There is a muzzle brake available in that threading as well, P/N 1002.

Ed