Mini 14 Tactical ejection problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gig

Single-Sixer
Just came home with a NIB mini-14 tactical, the one in the all weather stock with the screw on flash suppressor.

After an intial cleaning, took it out to site it in; but all I got was problems.

First few shots were fine; but the brass landed at my feet. I thought this strange, since I had to tone down my other 3 mini's, one in 223 and 2 in 6.8.

After a few shots, the tactical stopped cycling. It would not eject or re-cock. I suppose a little carbon tamed it to this point of being a single-shot.

Talked to Ruger, they said they tested with 60-65 gr ammo. I was using 45 gr. And if I would send it to them, they would ck it out.

Should I run some heavier loads through it to see if it loosens up, or send it to Ruger so I am sure I have a good firearm and then perhaps have to run some heavier loads through it?

thanks for any advice

You could try a heavier load.... but the 45gr vs 60 or 65 has to do with the weight of the bullet not the amount of powder and so I can't figure out why that would effect how it cycles... at least to the extent of the problem you have. but to just prove me right or wrong I would do that.... at least 55gr.... the rifle should work fine with those... they are the most popular.

I have a feeling something has cruded up the gas port. which is not your fault.... you should be able to shoot this rifle at least a couple thousand times before you ever have to even start thinking about the gas port... it is self cleaning.

gig

Single-Sixer
Update on ejection problem

Sent mini tactical to Ruger.
Got notice from them that they had received the rifle on 11/23/09.
Today, 12/07/09 had not heard a thing from them so gave them a call.
Very nice man finally answered,,(wish they had an 800 #).
He said they had not looked at the rifle yet because they did not have a "physical" address for the return, only the PO Box address.
Guess they must have every space on the computer screen filled in before they can fix a mini.......
Gave him a physical address and he said they would find out what is wrong with rifle.................

Moral of the story,,,,,,,yep, U guessed it........ :cry:

jjbabin

Bearcat
keep us posted.......i have a problem with mine where it won't eject the spent casing which i'm being told is because of Wolf ammo being dirty! of which i only shot 100 rounds!!!!

kwg020

Bearcat
Ruger Mini's had a problem with ejecting brass 30 or 40 feet. Many folks thought this was excessive and wanted it tamed down. It is possible to buy a smaller gas bushing to do this on perfectunion.com

We have been getting reports from new Mini owners the case ejection has been tamed down and is throwing the brass 10 to 20 feet or less. With this in mind, cleaning and lubing needs more attention than before and if you reload, you need a full power load to properly eject. I would suggest if you are a reloader or shoot light bullets to step up the load slightly or shoot a heavier bullet. Most of all, make sure the Mini is cleaned and lubed well if you are going to be spending a lot of time at the range. Especially until the Mini is well broken in. YMMV kwg

gig

Single-Sixer
Hummm kwg020, maybe I should have dug out one of those old big factory bushings I have laying around from the tameing of 4 other mini's and tried it in the new tactical.

If you look at the manuals on line, the mini tactical has the same bushing as the previous mini's, at least it is the same part no. so I just assumed....
I even asked Ruger if the bushing in the tactical and Ranch Rifle are the same, and they said they are.

Maybe we will know something soon from Ruger; but thanks for the info.

kwg020

Bearcat
Hello gig
I put in a .0465 bushing in my Mini and it throws the brass about 18 feet and that is with a light load with slow powder. Which I think is about right. I have a .045 bushing in right now but I have not gotten out to shoot it yet. I like dependability and don't mind chasing brass. But, at the range the brass hits folks two or three stalls down. I would bet the smith's changed the bushings without telling the folks who man the telephones, therefore, they gave you the best information they had. If you've had 4 Mini's you know how to lube and clean them. kwg

56-210

Bearcat
I've had zero problems with ejecting with the exact gun (10-15ft) Even shot some wolf that i had no prob, other than being filthy... So much so, i would/will avoid it if at all possible...

I'm interested if the out come of your issue...

Mark

gig

Single-Sixer
Well, finally got the tactical back from Ruger yesterday.

I'm going to try it out today and see if Ruger solved the problem.........

gig

Single-Sixer
I shot the mini today and everything worked fine, threw the brass about 20 feet with no failures.
Think I will call and see if I can find out anything........

Well, I called Ruger and the nice man told me to look in the enclosed owners manual for a repair order, and sure enough, there it was.

It says they replaced the bolt and slide, and repaired the gas block.

I guess there was a bigger problem with the brand new gun than I could have solved myself.

Right now I am happy with the mini and with Ruger Co and their repair dept.

welder

Buckeye
I have one just like it with exactly 20 rds through it. I think I'll get it out for a good shake down just to be sure. I have had four, 2 Mini30's and 2 Mini 14's, never a problem and in the Mini14s all I ever shoot is 55 gr ammo. I fired a bunch of Wolf in the thirties and had no problems either, other than aftermarket junk mags.

gig

Single-Sixer
Today I put some Brown Bear 62gr and some Remington UMC 45gr through the mini Tactical with no problems.

Then I installed two 1911 buffers, one around the gas pipe and one on the butt end of the Buffer Guide Rod.

I then had FTC with both loads.......
After removing the 1911 buffer from the butt end of the Guide Rod, I still had FTC with both loads.

I removed the 1911 buffer from around the gas pipe and reinstalled the 1911 buffer on the butt end of the Guide Rod and everything worked fine with no FTC's as yet.

Thus far, my conclusion is with the shorter barrel on the Tactical, the mini needs all the gas it can get to cycle properly.

I suppose the 1911 buffer on the Gas Pipe held the front of the Slide Assemby just far enough back to cut down on the amount of gas, or at least the force created by the given amount of gas, to keep the action from cycling properly.

For now, I am going to shoot various ammo to break-in with only the 1911 buffer installed on the butt end of the Guide Rod.

Latest posts