Mini 14 strut

Help Support Ruger Forum:

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
I am new to mini 14's. Just got the 223 that has a little heavier barrel than the older ones. It is not the target model. Anyone put the barrel strut on the new model? If you have did you see any benefits? Was it more accurate? I have reloaded for 35 years and thinking maybe I could work out a load to accomplish the same thing.Any tnoughts? Just really did not want to load because ammo is reasonable.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
That is a good looking Mini. The OP stated he did not want to reload. But if a person just shoots 55 gr ammo, they are missing out. I have a Mini Ranch that groups 62, M855 very well. Pats reloading sells this bullet. And a .223 reloader has 69 gr. 77 gr that shoots well. In both AR 556 and Mini 14's. Several powders to choose from. BL-C2, 748. IMR 4166. CFE223.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
That looks awesome. Waiting for my accuracy systems gas block with integrated barrel stabalizer rod and a set of gas bushings. Also got some wilson 1911 shok buffers coming. Been reloading for 30+ years but told myself was not going to upgrade for better accuracy. Could not help myself, I am an accuracy freak. More than likely try some 62 gr hornady's sometime was not sure my 1 and 9 twist would stabalizer them.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
That's good info. Probably be more towards summer or even next winter before I try to reload for it. Got lots going on this summer thanks again

daveg.inkc

Hunter
You are right on, Steve. My AR 1:8 shoots the 77 gr excellent. I really enjoy shooting these 5.56 x 45's. These people wanting to ban these, need a good talking to.

Squib308

Bearcat
i've played around with the accu struts and my experience has been it's a fair amount of extra weight for only a small improvement in accuracy.

if you want an accurate mini 14, send it to ASI for a new barrel. problem solved.

btmonnat

Single-Sixer
Squib308 said:
i've played around with the accu struts and my experience has been it's a fair amount of extra weight for only a small improvement in accuracy.

if you want an accurate mini 14, send it to ASI for a new barrel. problem solved.
That was my first thought and should have went with it. I think they are over priced and now have the gun shooting under 1 1/4 in. groups if I do my part. So it is doing better than I expected. I am not sure if the strut did anything. Bought the gun at walmart and noticed the gas block was twice as big of a gap on one side as the other. Looked like a kindergartener assembled it.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Here is 1 MOA M855 AR 556 100 yrds target
AG3NYlPl.jpg
fsa0xOYl.jpg
acKKmQvl.jpg

rufrdr

Bearcat
hlyldIuh.jpg

The strut helped my series 185 along with the weight of the combo muzzle brake/front sight device. It shoots the 10 ring with good ammo. Better than the 6" groups previously.