Mini-14 spent shell casings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kdevall

Bearcat
New to the Forum. Just got a mini-14 and put 80 rounds through it and was wondering if it was normal for the shell casing to have a ding in the middle of the case. Thanks Ken

ninjahippie

Bearcat
Don't know if it's "normal" but it seems to be common. The newer minis seem to have a habit of over ejecting. Mine threw the brass about 40' when I first got it, and the ejector took a little bite out of the cases as well. I have since changed out the gas bushing and added a buffer to where the piston stops. Things are much better now.

I think I'll probably invest in an adjustable gas block in the near future. Would be nice to make on the fly changes depending on ammo and where I want the brass to fall.

kdevall

Bearcat
Is there anything that can be done, to ease the damage I reload and 223/5.56 brass is not cheap.

kdevall said:
Is there anything that can be done, to ease the damage I reload and 223/5.56 brass is not cheap.

Yep, keep doing research....

You can change out the gas port bushing or such and put an adjustable one on... this is way out of my gun knowledge but I know folks (many) have done it on the mini-14... to reduce how far the brass is thrown and I presume that would help minimize the dent too.

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
kdevall said:

Yep, keep doing research....

You can change out the gas port bushing or such and put an adjustable one on... this is way out of my gun knowledge but I know folks (many) have done it on the mini-14... to reduce how far the brass is thrown and I presume that would help minimize the dent too.

Yeah, that might work....dunno.
I would think that in the least, a reduced-flow bushing would have an effect on how fast the oprod accelerates backwards, which I'd reckon would effect where it ends-up on it's return trip home in relation to just where the empty case is at that particular mili-second....which I'd reckon might keep them from smacking each other.....

....but (again), I dunno....I aint no engine-ear. :lol: .

Just in passing, I aint no reloading expert either.
That said though, I've reloaded a gazillion .308 and 30-06 catridges, most of which had been smacked by their perspective op-rods, and I've yet to encounter a problem caused by that tiny dent.
Not saying that the potential aint there, or that one should go about their reloading chores nilly-willy.....just sayin'.

DGW

Latest posts