Mini-14 shooting low!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
I bought a series 185 Mini-14 and it's shooting low with the standard factory peep sights. I really don't want to start filing the front sight down. Should I contact Ruger or can anyone steer me to some aftermarket sighting options. This is a standard model and not the ranch version, I don't want to mount a scope.

kwg020

Bearcat
There are like 3 rear sights for the MINI. Each one has the peep hole in a different elevation on the sight. A low, middle and high. You want the high peep hole. You can call Ruger and maybe get it. I called and they sent me a middle which was not high enough. I plugged the whole on a low with a small rivet and redrilled the hole Otherwise it get out the file. kwg

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
Emailed Ruger for a High rear sight.
I hope it works when I get it.
Kind of odd that it's happening, but then again I had a 185 series before and I had to peg the rear sight up to the very last notch. Design flaw?

Beachbum

Bearcat
This is a very common issue. I had the same problem and called Ruger on the phone. I didn't know which sight I needed, medium or high so they mailed me both, no charge. They asked me simply to mail back the one I didn't use. I used the medium sight.

Have faith, they'll take care of you.

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
I contacted Ruger and apparently there is such a thing as a extra high apperture. They are still working on availability and should have called me back yesterday, but didn't. I am going to call them now before the weekend rolls around. That extra high is probably going to be my ticket to cure the problem, from then on it's happy motoring! :mrgreen:

This is all true. My department switched to a Speer 64 Grn LE round and it shoots 4 inches high and 2 inches left on a zeroed Mini compaired to 55 Grn BT rem ammo. I had to switch out several rear sights to get the travel I needed to zero some rifles. They sent replacements free of charge.