Mini 14 Series 180

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pi2

Bearcat
I have an ancient Mini purchased just after they came on the market.

It has been a close friend for many years and has never caused a problem of any kind.

The Mini and I are both aging now and neither of us see well at night.... consequently I would like to install a light/laser combo of good quality.

I have generic "fit all" barrel clamps with picatinny rails that are not up to the quality I desire, thus, I don't use them.

The M 14 style side mounts work on the later series rifles but are a bit on the "spindly" side. (I have one on another newer Mini.)

The hand guard mounts I have not tried but they do not look promising and many require breaking down the gas block which I would rather not do.

I may have worked myself into a corner.

I am looking for a quality barrel mount, machined (with appropriate radius) to snugly fit the barrel like the gas block and to be placed just in front of it.

I don't desire several picatinny rails... just one below the barrel to securely hold a Streamlight or Surefire laser/light combo.

I have looked at the web many times and find very little. (Everything is devoted to ARs.)

Anyone know of a good unit I can purchase?

Otherwise I will have one made by a gunsmith nearby.

I don't need sources to peruse but would appreciate links to any particular units people have used successfully which meet the criteria I described.

Thanks in advance.

Just tossing out ideas, mag pul and others make rail sections of different lengths. You could attach to the wood, that would ruin resale of a old rifle but work. If it was me, I would look at buying a modern plastic type stock that has rails, if any available to fit the older style mini14s. Go into midway, brownells, cheaper than dirt for ideas. Mounting stuff to the barrel can cause problems regarding mainly change in bullet impact from putting it on to take it off. Maybe not a concern to you but, a big one to me. Just taking a brake on/ off a 6.5 I have changes impact 2 plus inchs low and about 2 inchs right at 100 yards.

pi2

Bearcat
Thanks for the input.

I had a lengthy response about ready and the computer went on the fritz.

I won't butcher the old Mini in any way... neither will I ever sell it.

If I don't find a barrel mount that suits me or works properly I will probably just use a SS Ranch Rifle... put an aftermarket picatinny designed to fit its grooves and use it in lieu of the old Mini.

I like their (Minis') reliability and greatly prefer them over other platforms which are more accommodating to add ons.

It will only be used as a night gun for investigating things that go "bump" when I feel I may encounter ranges greater than those appropriate for a shotgun with buckshot. A powerful light with a green dot laser sighted in to provide accuracy out to about 100 yards max. would do the trick well. I presently use a shotgun for such needs but the range is limited.

I live in the boonies to the extent that 911 is virtually useless and there are no neighbors to be concerned about when using a rifle.

I tried this as a cheaper way to have a tactical light and mount. It works great out to 75 feet maybe longer, I have not pointed it around beyond backyard.
I have several flash lights that put out 470 lumens. There are about 6 inchs long and the barrels is 1 inch. I got a old weaver 1 inch scope ring. Put it onto the flash light and mounted that to a 3 inch rail on a AR. That Ar has a trijicon sight.
The flash light lights up enough at 75 feet and the red dot is easy to see. the flip up sights not so easy to see. That set up (light and ring) cost less than 20 bucks.

pi2

Bearcat
I got a old weaver 1 inch scope ring. Put it onto the flash light and mounted that to a 3 inch rail on a AR. That Ar has a trijicon sight.
The flash light lights up enough at 75 feet and the red dot is easy to see. the flip up sights not so easy to see. That set up (light and ring) cost less than 20 bucks.

Sounds reasonable for an AR and a red dot but I have neither.