mini 14 scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I am looking at a Pineridege red dot by Cabelas for my mini14, have heard some good things about them, dont know who makes them (I have heard Tasco) I will be using my mini 14 Tactical for hogs and coyotes at 200 yds. and less. do any of yall use these or have an opinion on an alternative in the lower price range. Iam no a scope snob andI love my minis. :?:

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
I put a 4X on mine and think that would do the job just fine. But I do not know about a dot or holo sight as I have not used one on mine.

mattsbox99

Hunter
You don't want a red dot for 200 yard work, you won't be able to see anything as the dot will easily cover your target completely at that range.

I have a Leupold 2-7x33 Vari X II that works pretty well.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
almost all the red dots I see, even holographic sites seem to require Weaver mounts or Picatinny rails, my question is will the rail interfere with the brass ejection?? I plan on mounting red dot on at least one of my new minis. thanks for any info. :?:

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Depends on whether you have a Ranch model or not.

If so, it has flat ejection and is designed for optics to be mounted over the receiver.

If you have a standard model (now out of production) there are mounts available which still put your optics over the receiver, but some of the brass, or sometimes a lot, will bounce off the mount.

My older Minis had red-dot sights in B-Square mounts. There are a lot of dings from brass on the mounts, but they never lost their zero.

I have never experienced a failure or jam from brass bouncing off, either.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I just got an Ultradot that shuould mount right with my minis Ruger rings. how do you sight one in, at what range should I sight it in for .223, and what is the max accurate shooting range for one, lots of questions I know. I served in the militrary 37 years ago, no red dots then.

mattsbox99

Hunter
They sight in just like a regular scope, 25 yards should be just fine as the dot will be very large at longer ranges. 100-150 is about as far as they can be used depending on the target.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I put a Bushnell trophy shotgun scope on mine, 2x4 power.
The two power is great for up close and personal with a good field of view, the 4 is good for 100 yard shots.
If I was taking 200 yard shots I may want a 6 power so I would probably opt for a standard 3x9 for that distance.