Mini-14...Repair & range (Part 4) on Pg 2.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
Had to look it up but Accuracy Systems makes the block I had on one of mine. They are a bit more now but they are great units.

I switched to ARs simply for the fact the accuracy with these rifles is worlds above the old mini's and you don't have to be a gunsmith to change barrels. Also Ruger was so unwilling to sell parts in the old days.

Of course with the new mini's being better made it makes me want to go by a mini 30.

DGW1949

Hunter
I'm hearing ya.....and yeah, were it not for the lack of affordable (quality) ammo, I would have rather had another 30 myself. "Another" meaning that I've had two in the past, one blued, the other stainless. Both were OK guns, and both shot well with my handloads...but....in the end, I choze not to deal with the (lack of) ammo & mags situation as it was back then.

I'm not planning anything too drastic concerning my gas system, just enough to tone it down a bit.
As close as I can estimate by using my numbered drill bits, the hole in a stock Ruger bushing is just a smidgit over .080 . I figure that I'll fab one up out of a piece of 4140 at work with a .049-.050ish hole and go from there. All it'll cost me is my lunch break...and heck, I can still eat a sandwich while I do it. :wink: .

Oh, I almost forgot.......Nope, the newer Mini's's use the same ole gas system that they've always used. Fact is, aside from the barrel, the only things that have changed are purely cosmetic.

DGW