mini 14 Ranch brass deflection off scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
Hey all, new member here with a question. Hard to believe huh? I have a mini 14 ranch with a scope mounted on it. I know mini's have a reputation for throwing spent brass with considerable force and distance so I haven't really noticed until recently that the brass is pounding the bottom of my scope. There are several dings on the scope where the brass is hitting also I find many empties with the neck crimped from contact with something during ejection. I am assuming that this is normal but has anyone come up with a solution to protect the scope? Also, is this just a "ranch" model thing or do all mini's do this. Thanks in advance for your replies.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I thought the Ranch models were designed to eject the brass lower, so as to avoid the problem you're having. I have a scope on mine, and just checked it, and there's no marks at all on the scope.

Maybe if you post the first part of your serial number, and which scope rings you're using, it will help.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
I would suggest that you add some thick tape underneath the scope, in the are where you see the dings. I used to have several layers of duct tape (the handyman's secret weapon) right under the midsection of the scope.

The Mini-14 is not very scope or brass friendly, two of its many defects.

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. My rifle S/N starts with 196-3XXXX and has the standard rings that Ruger supplies with the gun. I will put on some tape to protect the scope but was curious if maybe some sort of shield was missing from mine (second owner). I guess Ruger designed the gun to be fun and not to worry about finding your brass or dings in your scope. It is still a blast to shoot.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
If it's a 196 prefix, I'd guess it was made prior to the "brass deflector" modification. I don't know a whole lot about when it went into effect, maybe someone else here does.

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
Yes it is a Ranch model and it has the fold down rear peep sight. I am using hand loaded, 55gr jacketed boat tail bullets, loaded on the conservative side. My friend has the same rifle and his throws brass everywhere also. He is going to look at the bottom of his scope for dings and I think his will also show marks. I'm surprised that not more people haven't said anything which makes me wonder if as I asked before, is it just a Ranch thing. I have heard that the ejection point is different on the other model(s). Still open to more comments. Thanks again.

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
My asking if it was a Ranch model was to cover all the bases. The other question about handloaded ammo was another attempt to diagnose your problem and it may just have. Your mild handloads may not be giving the rifle's action enough "zip" to clear the action. Try to see if switching from handloads to factory loads solves the problem. Maybe load 3 of each and see how far the spent cases eject. I have a series 195 Ranch rifle and it really sends the empties a great distance and at a very low angle of departure. Anyone standing behind and to the right of me better watchout! My rifle is very much not made for a lefty!
Contact Ruger if you have more concerns, they will probably tell you to swicth to factory ammo (like most all manufacturers will) or at the least increase the charge to factory specs.

Good luck, shoot safe 8)

txpete

Bearcat
my last ranch rifle did the same thing.my fix was some old inner tube cut to fit the bottom of the scope and held in place with black zip ties.worked great and no sticky stuff left on your scope.my fix for my current RR is I am going to just use the iron sights :lol:
pete

chet15

Hawkeye
The Ranch rifle supposedly came out to have an extractor that would let the brass avoid the scope (Ruger patented the idea). I would give Ruger a call to see what they say.
Does anybody know if when Ruger made that change if they also changed the bolt and extractor on the regular mini-14 series model? Should have been a rolling change in all production, but if not, I'm wondering if maybe a standard Mini-14 bolt got into your Ranch rifle?
This was one of the marketing thoughts when the Ranch rifle came out, that the brass would not hit the scope.
Chet15

wleoff

Bearcat
I've got a Ranch Rifle S/N 195-97XXX with the folding rear sight, laminated stock and I ruined a Nikon Monarch 4X from shells deflecting off it. I used the Ruger rings that came with the rifle. The rifle is about fifteen or twenty years old. The Nikon scope was a new scope when I mounted it on the Range Rifle. I haven't tried another scope on this rifle since the Nikon. I'm also left handed.

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
Interesting to hear others experience with this issue. I called Ruger today and spoke to a rep who was going to ask someone else if they had any comments then call me back. Of course, nobody has called me back. I'll sit tight and wait since I won't be shooting it for a couple more weeks now. Think I will look for some rubber to attach to scope after reading reply from Wleoff. Most likely, Ruger will just say nothing, never heard of it, or send it in and we will look at it. I'll keep you all posted if I hear back from them.

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
I have a ranch rifle (196-8xxxx) purchased in 2002. I had heard that they would hit the scope with ejected brass so I was cautious when I mounted the scope. It throws the brass into the next county, but somehow it manages to miss the scope. The scope is mounted in the Ruger supplied rings. Everything I have shot is reloads. I don't know if there is a difference between your gun and mine. Keep us posted on any findings.

Good Luck,
Larry

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
Well, a gentleman from Ruger called me back today. He felt that the Ranch model was designed to throw brass out to the side because of the scope mounting design built into the gun. Ruger doesn't like to hear that you are shooting reloads and the rep jumped on this as a possible cause. Like poster Plinker MKII suggested, the Ruger rep wants me to shoot some factory rounds and check the results. He was also specific that the rounds be US ammo mfg. per SAMI specs, not foreign made like Wolf. He said that when they test fire at the factory, they use US ammo. While I'll try his suggestions (if I can find any ammo right now!), I find it curious that this could be the cause of the cases hitting the scope. Thanks to all who have posted on this thread and keep em coming. I'll post my results when I can shoot some factory rounds.

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
txpete":29wybcn6 said:
that just doesn't pass the smell test :? :? :?

Something is rotten in Denmark! :lol: (by the way Pete, I am member hobocircus on XDtalk :mrgreen: )

The Ruger rep is basically implying that mild handloads do not have enough "steam" to cycle the action and launch the empties clear of the action. Basically the action is working, but the cases are hopping out like a bunny rabbit and on the way out they bump their heads on the low mounted scope.
The Walmarts in my area regularly have .223 value packs in stock, they don't last long on the shelf, but they do come in from time to time. I see them more often than .22 rimfire.
Now factory ammo will more than likely cure the crashing into the scope problem, but accuracy will never be as good as a custom crafted handload. Time to get a Ruger M77 in .223 :shock:

txpete

Bearcat
I have never bought any commerical ammo in 223.I can build better ammo than walmart sells.ruger is in CYA mode on this.

hey hobo good to see you around,it has been a while.

pete

mr. goodwrench

Bearcat
My current load is 24gr of H335 behind a 55gr bullet. Max load for that powder is 25.3 so I could squeeze a little more out of it. Gun seems to function well, average accuracy for a Mini, and brass will throw about 20 feet especially if it happens to come out without hitting scope! I might try a little hotter load, but I want to check and see what my friends Mini Ranch scope looks like first. I believe he is loading about the same recipe.

Latest posts