Mini 14 Optics Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAPA

Bearcat
I just bought a new Mini 14 Ranch Rifle (black/stainless) and would like to put some kind of scope/optics on it, any suggestions?

shermdo

Bearcat
That is a real personal preference and it certainly also somewhat depends on how type of shooting you plan to do. I do recommend a good quality scope rather than a bargain brand because the Mini-14 has a rep of being a little hard on optics. Buffers probably help a little but a lot of folks still seem that ruin the cheap stuff.

There have been some good discussions on this very topic over on the www.perfectUnion.com forum.

Good luck and enjoy your new mini.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
4x or 6x Weaver. Simple, rugged, decent glass and not a lot of money. I use a 6x on mine and it has held up well and is more than enough magnification for me. Also the size and finish matches my NRA mini perfectly.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I just picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, and it's fantastic. I've heard nothing but good things about this scope.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
On both my mini14 and 30 I put a 4X weaver and they have done fine. I do not need more power and they have held up. Recently I picked up a Leupold 4X and if one of the weavers dies I will put on the Leupold. It will not fail. Do not see any need for a 3X9 or larger power scope on either rifle myself.

SD Handgunner

Bearcat
Not on a Mini 14 but on my Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC I am using a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5x32mm Fire Fly Rifle Scope. I use this scope for work also so wanted a large field of view and a reticle I could illuminate. The Fire Fly Reticle is not electronic but rather by shining a flashlight in the eye piece of the scope the crosshairs glow a soft green. I do not get GLARE from the Fire Fly Reticle in low light like I have experienced with Electronic Dot Sights.

On my Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC .223 wit hthe Bushnell on 4.5x I can get sub 1" groups from the bench at 100 yards, plus I have shot Coyotes out close to 300 yards with it so I see no need for more magnification. I also really like the large field of view on 1.5x for when things are close and personal.

Just relating what I use and what I use it for. Others opinions and uses may vary.

Good luck

Larry

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I just put a Bushnell Trophy 1.75 x 4 on mine.
Nice and clear, super fast acquistion, really seems perfect for a mini here in the pine forests.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
SD Handgunner":uu57ld65 said:
Not on a Mini 14 but on my Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC I am using a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5x32mm Fire Fly Rifle Scope. I use this scope for work also so wanted a large field of view and a reticle I could illuminate. The Fire Fly Reticle is not electronic but rather by shining a flashlight in the eye piece of the scope the crosshairs glow a soft green. I do not get GLARE from the Fire Fly Reticle in low light like I have experienced with Electronic Dot Sights.

On my Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC .223 wit hthe Bushnell on 4.5x I can get sub 1" groups from the bench at 100 yards, plus I have shot Coyotes out close to 300 yards with it so I see no need for more magnification. I also really like the large field of view on 1.5x for when things are close and personal.

Just relating what I use and what I use it for. Others opinions and uses may vary.

Good luck

Larry

I agree this is a great scope. My friend has it on his 450 bushmaster so it is definitely a tough scope. I liked the scope so much I bought one. I don't have a gun to put it on yet but I did not want to miss out on great product. The firefly reticle is improved from what it used to be the reticle in other fireflys I looked at was about twice the thickness than in this scope. Whatever you decide powerwise look into the bushnell elite 3200. They are in my opinion the most underrated scope on the market today.

Latest posts