mini 14, open sights or optics?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got into a mini 14/30 phase lately, right now got scopes on 2, but my mini 14 tactical looks so good with open sights, just wondering what you other mini14 or 30 owners prefer and why. I know my 14 would be a good long range varmint gun with optics, right now got an Ultradot on one and it is great for putting a dent in a herd of hogs, but most are shots at less than 100 yds. some coyote shots would be over 200 yds. and good optics might extend past that. these are new 580 series so they are very accurate compared to the older ones. :?:

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
The minis are anything but tack drivers and while my hunting rifles all wear scopes, the role(s) that I once expected my Mini 30 to fill are better served without. The primary role was defensive.

Mini30097.jpg

To that end I added an NECG (New England Custom Gun) adjustable aperture sight that clamps on to the rear scope mount attachment point.

Mini30099.jpg

My Mini 30 could consistently put 10 rounds into an office/desk sized waste basket at 250 - 300 yards. We borrowed (and used) the term "minute of bad-guy" because it fit well.

Then I dumped the Mini 30 for a SOCOM 16. The NECG sight is the Bulldog's Bollocks mounted on my 308 M77 RSI. I highly recommend it.

:lol:

Welding Rod

Bearcat
All optics do on a Mini is get me frosted.

I would go with irons. On a better note, the sight radius on the Mini is really good.... a couple inches longer than on 20" AR if I remember right.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I had a 4x scope on my Mini-30 and took it off. I could shoot just as well at 100 meters with the factory peep. And by that I mean 4"-6" groups from the bench.

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got a good scope on my mini 30 right now, but I am leaning towards going back to open sights for hogs, I still cant get used to a red dot scope. hogs are pretty blind anyway, I got within 15 feet of a sow the other night. 4-6" groups will work for a mini 30 in my book. like I said, right now I am in a mini 14/30 phase, only now I aint gonna sell them like I did years ago.