Mini 14 NRA or Mini 14 LE 5819 Model???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
I have decided to purchase a Mini 14 within the next few weeks.

I want a short barrel (16-16 1/8") so I was looking at the NRA model and the 5819 model. I like stainless but don't really want a flash hider/suppressor so I'm torn between the two models (I can't find a SS with short barrel and no flash hider).

I read that the Hogue overmold adds 1" to the LOP.......is that correct and do you know why that is? I normally like shorter LOPs so I'm concerned about the Hogue overmold stock.

Other than being SS with flash hider and synthetic stock, does the Model 5819 differ in any other way from the NRA model (i.e. ejection port or ????)? Can the flash hider be easily removed?

The 5819 will cost me approximately $65 more and I keep thinking that it would be a better buy, especially if I later sell it.......not sure why I think that.

Anyone have any pros and cons for the NRA versus the 5819 model?

Thanks

A couple of months ago I got the Mini 14 with the folding adjustable stock with a 16" barrel blue with one 20round mag. I got a 5 round and a extra 20round mag. Just got back from having a Nikon Prostaff 2X7 scope mounted and bore sighted. Last week I got a tactical sling for it, so for me I'm ready to go with it now. For the situations I forsee ever using this rifle other than practice at a rifle range I don't see the need for a flashhider - just something else that might need cleaning or that could hang up on something in a tight place. But think about what you will be using it for and get fixed up to suit your needs, Good Luck Dave.

QB

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I just will be using it at an indoor range for plinking occassionaly. Mainly I just want to have some type of .223/5.56 rifle that's fairly dependable and not real expensive.

I KNOW I want the shorter barrel and now I've decided against the flash suppressor so I guess that leaves model 5835 which I have located several of or model 14/20C-NRA. Both have the Hogue stock.

I'll keep looking for a few more days for other models with a 16" barrel and no flash hider but they are a bit scarce.

Question for Snellville-Dave: what model Mini did you purchase, the new one that's out with the collapsable and folding stock? If so, I may consider that model. How do you like yours, any issues???

The one I got is the new tactical with the ATI stock and no flash suppresor.
I got it because I didn't have anything in .223 and also didn't like most of the AR's espcially with the big price increases. Keep looking you'll find one you like at the right price, Dave

card

Bearcat
QB the model you are looking for is the 5820.It is the 16 inch barrel, stainless model with no flash suppresor.As of two weeks ago Davidson's had 49 of them.Have your FFL give them a call.This model is only offered through ruger's law enforcement catalog. Good Luck

QB

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the info. I'll check into the 5820 as well as reconsidering the 5819. I was also now looking into the one that has the ATI collapsible/folding stock.

Now I've thrown some bolt action rifles into the mix to think about.

Decisions, decisions.

QB

Single-Sixer
Update: decided to purchase a bolt action for now. Just ordered a Ruger M77 MKII.

Thanks for all the info on the Mini-14, still may get one in the future.