mini 14 mounts and scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I just recently bought a mini 30 and a new mini 14 Tactical, cant decide which one to put a scope on and which to leave open sighted. if I go with a holograph or a red dot, what do I have to do so I can mount them and still use the ghost ring sighths. do I need a Picatinny rail, can I use a Weaver mount. I am a dumbass, aint owned a mini in 20 years, only ARs and AKs. I will be using these on hogs and coyotes and shots should be 200 yds and under. appreciate any input.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
Don't feel too bad about being a "dumbass"... I just bought a red dot for my tactical ATI Mini and I actually struggled with putting the damn thing on (and that's with the rails! :oops: ). I guess I figured I needed to fill up another one of those rails... lol
I have always shot AK's or Mini's, but only with the iron sights. The only thing I've put a scope on is my 10/22 and that was simple. I'm not sure if all red dot and holographs need a rail, but I'd bet one of the folks on this site can help you better than I, good luck!

Krazy Okie

Bearcat
You can buy a mount that fits on the mini base that will allow you to install you weaver style scope to it. You can order one from MidWay or Brownells. 8)

epj

Bearcat
Krazy Okie":2xhm9wow said:
You can buy a mount that fits on the mini base that will allow you to install you weaver style scope to it. You can order one from MidWay or Brownells. 8)

You can mount the rail without removing the rear sight. The one I got had to be trimmed a couple of inches to allow me to do this. I think some of them don't need to be trimmed, but they cost twice as much. However, they do block the rear sight, or at least mine does.