Mini-14 Gas Bushing Mistake

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
I really screwed the pooch on my Mini-14. I replaced the gas bushing ( factory .085 ) with a .035. Now my rifle doesn't cycle...I just ordered a bushing kit from Accuracy Systems and will go thru the whole replacement process all over again. Hind sight being 20-20 I should have started with a bushing in .050 and then maybe worked my way back...live and learn...

Hylander

Single-Sixer
I have done a few of these and it seems most, but not all work best with the .045 bushing.
.050 is a good place to start.
I have a bushing set coming tomorrow for another Mini I just bought.
Also have you installed a recoil buffer?

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
I have installed the recoil buffer and the heavier spring as well. I have the .050 and .045 bushings. I am going to replace the .035 with the .050 and call it good.

One of my favorite things about my Mini-14 is watching my brass get ejected somewhere into the next county...hope you get it sorted out, let us know how it functions with the .050 in it. Maybe even try some different ammo with the .035 and let us know if you find something that does cycle it with the small bushing in it.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Since I reload I am tired of the "next county" brass search. If I can get the rifle to eject the spent brass closer and in a smaller area I'll be happy. This is the objective that started this whole learning curve.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Well I traded out the .035 bushing for the .040. I can't do too much shooting in my rural community but I fired a mixed bag of 223 and 556 ammo ( 20 rounds) and the rifle ate it all. the brass now for the most part goes about 5 ft. between 2 and 5 oclock. now I can go to the range and see what it will do with multiple mags and find out if the Accu-Strut tamed it down. The story continues...range report to follow. Thanks for all the input and advise.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Chuckfish said:
Since I reload I am tired of the "next county" brass search. If I can get the rifle to eject the spent brass closer and in a smaller area I'll be happy. This is the objective that started this whole learning curve.

I'm not a big fan of brass catchers. Shooting lefty it obliterates much of my field of view. However the one I use (can't recall the name) is a plastic snap on type that clips over the action, uses an extended screw head (metal action liner screw) on the right side to hold it in place. Works great.

xtratoy

Buckeye
If I remember, I ended up up tapping the original bushing and inserting a stainless screw then drilling out with a .041" drill. Throws brass about 10-12 feet.

Latest posts