Mini 14 Brass damaging gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
This is a weird one. Took a used but like new mini out today, had a scope mounted on it. Previous owner said 200 rounds.
After 10 rounds I look at the slide, right next to the handle, and it has tiny brass marks on it, small semi circle brass colored marks. Looks like tiny finger nail gouges in the blued metal, looks like the neck end of the case hitting.
I'll get pictures, but was wondering what the heck is going on?
How is this even possible?
I had my brother stand off to the side and he couldn't see the brass hitting anything, it was throwing shells 15 feet low and almost straight out to the right.

The scope shows no damage from shells hitting it at all.
But now I have "permanent" brass gouge marks from the end of the brass and even the tip of the slide handle is nicked up.
Has anyone ever seen this?

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
I usually see reports of brass hitting scopes not anywhere else. By "slide", do you mean the op rod, bolt or something else? Mini-14s do not have "slides" like a pistol.
To the point, you can get adj. gas blocks to control how the brass is thrown (at least as to distance).

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
wetidlerjr":3a0soris said:
I usually see reports of brass hitting scopes not anywhere else. By "slide", do you mean the op rod, bolt or something else? Mini-14s do not have "slides" like a pistol.
To the point, you can get adj. gas blocks to control how the brass is thrown (at least as to distance).

Actually they do have a slide. They have a slide and a slide handle.
It's what is pulled back on to chamber a round.
Not sure where you are getting your information.

My damage is on the slide handle and right in front of it on the slide itself.

I just went out and after a lot of scrubbing removed most of the brass marks, the handle is permanently nicked though.
I guess it's pulling the spent case out and its kinda "riding" right along the slide handle before being ejected. Marking up the blueing there.
So I suppose the ejector ain't exactly right, and the choice is either leave it as is and put up with some brass marks on the slide and handle,or send it back to Ruger. I don't think changing a gas block is gonna help.
Maybe.
I knew I was getting too good of a deal dang it!
Previous owner no doubt knew this was happening and unloaded it.
Finding this a lot now with used guns, owners not disclosing everything.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":210wfdzw said:
wetidlerjr":210wfdzw said:

I get my info from the USMC (M-14 circa 1966) and the ownership of more than one Mini-14. Although Ruger does use the term "slide", I never see (or hear) anyone (outside of you) refer to the part in question as that and I have owned three Mini-14s (still have two) and I have a SA M1A (semi-auto M-14) with a VERY similar mechanism. The parts are referred to (commonly) as the "operating rod" which moves the "bolt" back and forth in the receiver. I am sorry I had to burden you with an attempt to assist you. I will NOT make that mistake again.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
wetidlerjr":mhxiwobe said:
gatorhugger":mhxiwobe said:
wetidlerjr":mhxiwobe said:

I get my info from the USMC (M-14 circa 1966) and the ownership of more than one Mini-14. Although Ruger does use the term "slide", I never see (or hear) anyone (outside of you) refer to the part in question as that and I have owned three Mini-14s (still have two) and I have a SA M1A (semi-auto M-14) with a VERY similar mechanism. The parts are referred to (commonly) as the "operating rod" which moves the "bolt" back and forth in the receiver. I am sorry I had to burden you with an attempt to assist you. I will NOT make that mistake again.

Jeez man don't take it so personally everyone makes mistakes on guns. Ruger does call it a slide, their manual calls it a slide, the parts are called a slide and slide assembly, whether ANYONE including yourself calls it by the correct term is not my issue, but I am sure some people do know the correct name of the Ruger part.

Apparently you want to correct me on terminology, and when I nicely say it is a slide, and move on joking about other stuff, you come back with "Im a Marine..., I won't bother to help you.... "
Apparently you don't take being wrong very well, and make a big deal about nothing.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
The Slide Assembly, PN: KMS23701, on my Stainless Mini 14 Ranch has almost always been dinged by the ejected brass. Never gave it much thought, assumed it was just the way the thing worked. Same same on my Stainless Mini 30 Ranch. No evidence of any dings though, just a bit of discoloration which cleans off fine with Hoppes. $16 a quart at the PX, best deal around here for Hoppes.

Is this a standard Mini-14 or a ranch model... if it's standard with something like a b-square bracket for the scope then the rounds could be hitting the scope mount and bouncing back down and hitting the slide.

I looked at both of my mini-14s (one standard and one ranch) and neither has dings in the slide, nor does my mini-30.

how about a picture?

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Here's the picture, it's a rancher, serial 196, in a laminate stock with ruger scope rings and a Bushnell low power scope.
The scope shows no signs of cases hitting it at all.

It's interesting others have had this issue, I guess I feel better. Maybe on my stainless Mini I just never noticed it.
I suppose the cheapest "fix" would be a piece of black electrical tape there when I shoot it.

mini001.jpg

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
Gatorhugger, if you will look in your owner's manual in the Rs, right before "Slide" you will see "Ranch Rifle". There is no such thing as a "Rancher".

I don't know where you are getting your information.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
robertkirksey":c3502foq said:
Gatorhugger, if you will look in your owner's manual in the Rs, right before "Slide" you will see "Ranch Rifle". There is no such thing as a "Rancher".

Every crowd has a comedian.

shermdo

Bearcat
robertkirksey":3nf4sdzm said:

It is a full moon tonight is that why everyone is acting so darn pissy? Couldn't we just enjoy a peaceful discussion rather than act like jack asses?

MFD

Bearcat
Hello Gatorhugger,
Irregardless of what name you call the component, slide or oprod, your experience w/ the spent cases "nicking" or making marks is not uncommon. As you may know, the AR15 has a case deflector(left hand shooters would catch the spent cases in the face without it) which receives the same treatment whereas the Mini 14 is catching it on the "slide" portion of the oprod. Now, as to a fix, some will use a small patch of "fuzzy side" velcro attached to the area and this tends to soften the impact and also prevents marking of the part. If you were to disassemble the rifle and look at the bolt face, the ejector is plunger type w/ spring. One can cut a coil off the spring and soften the action of the ejection of the spent case, some do this who do not want their spent brass spread over several feet/yards. Personally I would just put a small patch of the velcro there and you are good to go. If you use Hoppes No.9 solvent on the area, let it sit for half hour or so, the brass markings will likely clean up nicely. As others have pointed out, nothing wrong with your Mini, kind of "nature of the beast" if you will.

martin

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
MFD":3ifx15h3 said:
Hello Gatorhugger,
Irregardless of what name you call the component, slide or oprod, your experience w/ the spent cases "nicking" or making marks is not uncommon. As you may know, the AR15 has a case deflector(left hand shooters would catch the spent cases in the face without it) which receives the same treatment whereas the Mini 14 is catching it on the "slide" portion of the oprod. Now, as to a fix, some will use a small patch of "fuzzy side" velcro attached to the area and this tends to soften the impact and also prevents marking of the part. If you were to disassemble the rifle and look at the bolt face, the ejector is plunger type w/ spring. One can cut a coil off the spring and soften the action of the ejection of the spent case, some do this who do not want their spent brass spread over several feet/yards. Personally I would just put a small patch of the velcro there and you are good to go. If you use Hoppes No.9 solvent on the area, let it sit for half hour or so, the brass markings will likely clean up nicely. As others have pointed out, nothing wrong with your Mini, kind of "nature of the beast" if you will.

martin

Thanks for the suggestion, that is exactly what I will do, get some velcro or a small disposable peice of camo duck tape and slap it on there.
I think if I started messing around with gas bushings, I may make it worse and it start hitting the scope or something.
I didn't realize it was a common thing, I don't think my stainless mini ever did it, but of course it is not the ranch model so it flys out differently.

K4AA

Bearcat
Perfectly normal. Sig 556 and all AR's have brass "kisses". They are signs of affection of a gun that is not a safe queen. You should see some of the AR's that return from Iraq.

Snake45

Hawkeye
That part is called a "slide" on an M1 carbine, too, which is prolly where Ruger got the name from.

I believe my M14 (not Mini-14) has similar marks on the op-rod. As others have mentioned, there are other rifles on which this is common and normal. Don't sweat it, it's just a badge of honest use, like the dark gray inside the exhaust pipe of your car.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Not something I would worry about, myself.... this is brass hitting hardened steel! Wipe it off with Hoppes or similar copper fouling remover...

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
and someone trying to visually see the brass hitting couldn't possibly see it unless they had 250x slo mo vision :shock:
My 185 series Mini-14 did the same thing. My current 195 series Cowboy Companion Rancher doesn't :p

Latest posts