Mini 14 Advice

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wn

Bearcat
I am intertested in purchasing a Mini 14. It will mainly be used for plinking and the ocassional coyote and other varmints. I plan to put a 3x9 scope on it. I do not need a tack driver, but i have heard that the Mini 14's have horrable accuracy and that Ruger recently made modifications to improve accuracy. Will some one please advise me as to what i can expect for accuracy and have they recently been improved. How do I make sure i get one of the improved ones.

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Anything new will be the "improved" model. What they did was to replace all the worn out tooling at the factory and I believe the barrels are heavier.
I have a older Ranch model and the accuray is fine.
BTW...a 3X9 scope is overkill and most do not "look right" on the mini. I have straight 4X on my 14 and 30 and they work fine and "look right" to me.
My 2 Cents

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I got a couple of "new minis" including a Tactical, they are tackdrivers compared to some of the older ones, but I am a mini lover. my mini 30 with a 3x9 x 40 shoots 1" groups and is a hog slayer. :p

tango6

Bearcat
I finally unloaded my 186 series mini 14. is the mini 30 any more accurate than the 14's or is it still a hope and a prayer to hit anything?

tango6

Bearcat
well, the buyer backed out! so I guess I will keep the thing and try to improve it. since the barrel seems to be the weak link, what is the recommended replacement barrel that will give good accuracy?

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
tango6":1yliibem said:
I appreciate the link but if I read it right, it will not work on 186 series rifles.

Where does it say that ?

For Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 with full-length barrels.
Not recommended for tapered 16" short barrel versions as clamps will be positioned too closely together.
Will not fit early 180-series, as rear of strut will interfere with sling installation point.
Will not fit rifles with mid-barrel bayonet lugs (i.e. older GB models).
Will not fit on "Target" models due to the much larger barrels.

tango6

Bearcat
4th line down in your quote

"Will not fit early 180-series, as rear of strut will interfere with sling installation point. "

slippingaway

Blackhawk
tango6":t3xuj3mk said:
4th line down in your quote

"Will not fit early 180-series, as rear of strut will interfere with sling installation point. "

But you don't have a 180 series, you have a 186 series, at least that's what you posted.

tango6

Bearcat
ok, maybe i am interpeting it wrong. i thought it meant all 180 to whatever in the 18's. i emailed accu strut for clarification. thanks.

tango6

Bearcat
I received a reply from accu-strut and it will fit my 186 series mini 14. Thanks for all the help and sorry about all the confusion.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
tango6":3jforf4u said:
I received a reply from accu-strut and it will fit my 186 series mini 14. Thanks for all the help and sorry about all the confusion.

No problemo ! I live in the state of confusion. :mrgreen:

Latest posts