mini 14/30 rehash

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I know this has got to be discussed over and over, but I dont spend a whole lot of time online. I just bought a used mini 30, wood with blue with the serial # 189XXXX, I know it is far from new, any info on reliability and accuracy or did I throw my money away. I also just got me one of those new mine 14 Tactical, black with flash suppressor, any input on those? I guess I am on a mini buying tear.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I got a mini 14 tactical, but without the flash suppressor. Great gun, shoots well, accurate enough. Fun to have, and I got a good deal. I can't complain.

depends on how much you spent on the mini-30 as to how much you 'might' have thrown away.

best thing to do is go out and buy the very best 7.62x39 ammo you can find... take it and the rifle out to a 100 yard range and see what happens.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Reload with 0.308" bullets and see if you get a difference in accuracy. Ruger uses a 0.308" barrel in its 7.62x39mm rifles, instead of the normal 0.311", which is the same as the military surplus ammo.

LawMan

Bearcat
I have the Mini 14 tactical model which I have here on the Gallery if you want to see it. I could not tell from your post if your Mini Tactical came from Ruger like that or if it was a conversion (Strikeforce).

Mine came from Ruger with all the rails, etc. I could not find a Flash Supressor for it, however, I found a Muzzle brake that looks nearly the same and seemed to have the same effect.

On my Mini Tactical I have added a RedDot, Front folding handle, Taclight w/laser, and the Muzzle brake. I also picked up a 30rd Magazine in addition to the 20rd that came with it.

I can tell you that it is dead on. I made some adjustments to the RedDot and laser, but other than that, no jams, etc. So to wrap it up, I love my Mini Tactical! I wouldn't trade, sell it, or anything close. I am into Tactical rifles and when I was in the market for a .223 this one struck my eye. I looked it over and made up my mind in minutes that this is the rifle for me. The only thing I run into is many people do not believe it is a Mini-14 when they first see it, which is a small issue to deal with :D

Congrats on your firearms!

Take Care

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I paid $500 for the mini 30, dont really know how old it is. yall school me. about 25 years ago I got a mini 14 brand new, tried 3 scopes on it (quality scopes) and never got it to shoot good. in the last month I have bought 3. I hear all about the 180 series, is the 187 and 189 first 3 serial # considered in that "180" the new mini 14 Tactical I got is the standard stock, not really into tactial as in rails, lights, magnifiers, folding stocks etc. I am an old fashioned soldier that loved the M14. I will mainly use it on hogs, we are eat up with them in this part of Texas. any info, input will be appreciated.

LawMan

Bearcat
Felix,

If your Mini tactical looks like mine (you can check out my RedDot in the Gallery. Anyway if it looks like that you will probably don't need to anything as long as you have the Picantinny/Weaver Rails.

I have a RedDot on mine and love it. Took about 20 minutes to dial it in at 50 yards which was right on. I also added a laser, tac light, front Ruger folding handle, and muzzle brake.

If you go into gallery and find the post "my newest Mini 14" if it looks like that with all the rails you only have to make one decision and that is what RedDot you want. They range from around $50 to $400 for an Eotech RedDot. I chose mine based on price, reliability, how many reticles, illumination, and ease of installation and site adjustment.

If it does not have the rails and you have a tactical version of the Mini-14, the rails are sold all over and pretty easy to install.

Anyway, thats my two cents. If you could post a pic of your mini in the "Gallery" section it would make it easier to see what you are dealing with.... BTW mine is 580 series (the stock model; the way I bought it is my avatar)

Take Care

I'm going to presume the mini-30 is a Ranch model, not sure they made them any other way.

The Ranch model has the two indentions on the receiver for Ruger Scope Rings... what you need is a rail that fits over these ring indentions... then you can put the Red Dot on...

I'm trying to get a link to one at midway, but their web sight search engine became a joke about a year ago....

from their catalog: product number 741-660 is a Warne Maxima Base $32.99

here, this might work:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/Default ... -4_8-16-32

I think this might be exactly what you are looking for, not for a red dot scope but a Holo type dot....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=412937

but they have a number of different rail mounts for scopes also.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Interesting! It was only a few months ago I did all kinds of reading about it and everything was .308" for Ruger, with a long throat. So thanks for the update! They should have started from the beginning with a 0.311" bore and designed the action around AK magazines (if possible with the boltface), but I digress.

And yes, Blume, all Mini Thirty rifles are a Ranch Rifle configuration.

LawMan

Bearcat
Sorry Felix,

I thought you were talking about the new Mini-14's. I re-read and see you were talking about the Mini-30 (which I don't have yet...) So yours probably does not have the rails, etc.

However like the others posted, there are rails and scopes that you can mount and get the same objective....

Take Care

felix cortinas

Bearcat
since I have gone mini crazy in the last few days, here is another question. on the new mini 14, are there rails & mounts available that will still let me use the ghost ring sights? I love the ghost ring sights but I know lots of my shots at hogs will be over 200 yards in some of my pastures. I would love the best of both worlds. I think a under 100 yds, the ghost rings will work for me. I am still torn over which one to leave open sight only. mini 30 or mini 14. life is hell. :?: