mini 14/30 barrels....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just had a thought....
(yes, I know: "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!"

As far as I can tell the only real improvement that Ruger has made with the new minis is the barrel.... So, why don't they offer the newer barrels for sale?

I've seen after market barrels offered by places like Accuracy Systems.... how hard is it to replace the barrel on a Mini?

miniman

Single-Sixer
they say after you get the headspace right you have to drill for the gas bushing i dont see a problem with it but they say getting it right is tough.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
blume357":18ge6o8m said:
I just had a thought....

As far as I can tell the only real improvement that Ruger has made with the new minis is the barrel.... So, why don't they offer the newer barrels for sale?

I've seen after market barrels offered by places like Accuracy Systems.... how hard is it to replace the barrel on a Mini?

I was under the impression that they had tightened up the specs, all through the system, to take all of the 'slop' out of the working parts. Of course I guess that wouldn't show up, just looking at it.
Earl.

'Tightening up the specs and getting the slop out of it' always sounds good until you realize that the opposite of this is exactly what made the AK47 so dependable. that crazy Rusky figured out that a really tight gun worked great with the right amount of lube and shooting at the range but didn't work worth a dern down in the mud and trenches.

if you got to drill a hole in the thing and set some kind of head space... that is way beyond my abilities and equipment.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
blume357":37jyek8s said:
'Tightening up the specs and getting the slop out of it' always sounds good until you realize that the opposite of this is exactly what made the AK47 so dependable. that crazy Rusky figured out that a really tight gun worked great with the right amount of lube and shooting at the range but didn't work worth a dern down in the mud and trenches.

if you got to drill a hole in the thing and set some kind of head space... that is way beyond my abilities and equipment.

That's true. they sure worked good in RVN. The 'charlies' didn't even know how to clean them, and they were indestuctible. However, I would prefer something a little better for civilian use. I don't spend much time 'in the mud.'

EarlFH

X - Man

Bearcat
I'm not certain about the new breed of Mini's, but I have some experience with an older Ranch. Mine is a #188 series in S/S. When new, in 1993, it was only so-so in accuracy. Last year I decided to address the issue. I've been able to re-work the action and make improvements to the point that the Mini will now shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. That's ten rounds fired in under two minutes. And the Mini is still fitted with the original Ruger barrel.

Point is that the typical shooter/hobbyist can re-work a Mini and get it to perform better.

Many of the improvements I made were to the finish, fit and smoothness of the metal surfaces. At one location, the finish of the surface was excessively rough. Other mods include changes made to the slide assm., as well as adding a few accessories.

About the barrel; I have added a devise on the barrel of my Mini, though it's not a strut. One function of it is to provide additional support to the gas block; the design of the new Ruger barrel also does that.

I can see how the placement of the gas port is tricky to locate. Not only must it be indexed correctly, but its position from the receiver must be exact, or it puts the slide assm out of alignment for proper bolt lock up .

Bill Ruger designed a rifle which was able to be manufactured utilizing the least amount of machining operations. To me, it's understandable that improving the fit and finish of the parts results in a better product.

stchman

Bearcat
I assume you are speaking of the 580 series Minis.

Ruger totally re-did the tooling to make the Mini. They gave it a heavier barrel.

I have no complaints about my Mini-14 at all.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
It would be nice if you could call Ruger and arrange to ship it back and have them swap barrels. If you could have that done for less than say...150$ (shipped there and back) it would probably be worth it to quite a few folks, myself included.

I could have saved money ordering that Accu-Strut...(it remaines to be seen if that works as advertised, but I am hopeful)

copen

Bearcat
blume357":hk9z6riy said:
I just had a thought....

Try www.greatwestgunsmithing.com
Doc, as he's known, is by all accounts a true gentleman and will likely answer your questions concerning barrel replacement. He has just recently moved his business to another state so he may not be able to reply as quickly as he normally would.

kwg020

Bearcat
I called Ruger about doing a barrel swap several years ago. They wanted the price of the barrel plus labor and the largest fee was for matching the finish on the barrel and receiver. (it was a stainless receiver) All told, it was right at $450 to swap the barrel. What they basically told me was "we don't want to do it and if you insist it's gonna cost you big" I sent it to ASI. kwg

My case was about a year and a half ago. They had just started the 580 mini's and it was warranty work. There was a charge but I do not recall the price. I was not paying but as I recall, it seemed like a good price. Less than $300 with all work completed I think. It came back like new. It looks cool. Standard model mini with new style barrel. Not many of those around. I zeroed and test fired it on return from work and it did produce tighter patterns. OK, tighter meaning about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

copen

Bearcat
copen":38aiqljf said:
blume357":38aiqljf said:
I just had a thought....

Try www.greatwestgunsmithing.com
Doc, as he's known, is by all accounts a true gentleman and will likely answer your questions concerning barrel replacement. He has just recently moved his business to another state so he may not be able to reply as quickly as he normally would.
There, fixed it for ya.

Latest posts