Mini 14 180 Series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jake.22

Bearcat
Hello. New to this forum. I have just recently acquired a 180 series Mini 14. While removing the 20 years of closet dust off the old girl, imagine my surprise when I took the gas block apart and found no gas bushing! No big deal right, I'll just order one, I said. Got on good old Google and found a set of gas bushings, but for the 181 series and above. I know that the 180 series is a bit different in the bolt hold open and the bolt itself. My question is how is the gas bushing different, can I modify one of the bushings found around Accuracy Systems Int. And if not, is there a source for a gas bushing that will fit? Thanks to all in advance for your knowledge and input.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Wow,, that's an issue. I'm NOT an expert by no means on the Mini-14's,, so I'm no help at all.
But maybe someone else around ere can help!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm guessing that you may have tried this custom mini-14 bushing machine shop; if not, you may want to ask them your question. It appears they manufacture these bushings for mini14 and30's and most likely can, at very least, answer your question.

J.

Jake.22

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I found some used bushings at Numrich's gun parts. At least they say there for the 180 series. I'll let you know how they work.

hittman

Staff member
I'm also not a Mini 14 expert but was thinking there was a change in those after a few years of production or ….. maybe that was with the Mini 30? ❓

40nascar

Banned
Try "Jack's First" gun shop. They specialize in reproduction parts for the 180 series mini 14's.

As far as I know, the only parts compatibility between the 180 series, and the 181+ series min's are the magazines, and the curved butt plate and screws. Note that the 180 series butt plate is aluminum. The 181+ are plastic.

I know for a fact that some of the series 180 guns that we had tried to work on years ago, that the factory does not,will Not, service them, NO parts available, and will tell you to "add" a few dollars and they will replace with a new current model, and YES the 180 series bolt lugs can and will break ( shear off) had two of them all 200th Year guns, and now they are using Ceiner 22 lr conversions in them....GONE,,, all of them.......caveat emptor baby:cool::rolleyes:

Latest posts