might be a stupid question... but

Help Support Ruger Forum:

There will be some who say they've been doing it for years with no ill effects.

There will be others who explain that if the powder particle size is changed by tumbling it may be dangerous.

Some may worry about a bullet striking a primer with enough force to cause ignition.

I know a guy who tumbles "surplus" ammo all the time.

I wouldn't do it, myself.

Not a stupid question . . . good question.

;)

Pal Val

Buckeye
I don't do it. This doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. It's a free country, and you know it - you've done quite a bit to keep it that way!

The reasoning points seem to me:
Are these rounds so dirty that they need tumbling?
Can you chamber them like they are right now?
Will shooting them dirty affect their function?
Will tumbling them affect their function?
Will showing up at the range with dirty ammo embarrass you?
Is this any of my business?

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin":1vyazxuv said:
If in doubt....Brasso! :wink:
Sorry Dennis,Brasso contains ammonia,Breaks down brass....You could try Tarn-x if you just need pretty ammo.

Snake45

Hawkeye
B.L. Hall":25wji0nu said:
I have some old ammo that seem to have like a sticky residue on them... might could effect function...
I'd try taking it off with some 92% rubbing alcohol on a rag, or lighter fluid, or lacquer thinner.

TexMike

Bearcat
The danger in tumbling loaded ammo is damaging the deterrent coating on the powder. The coating's chemistry, which is primarily graphite, determines burn rate. Changing the coating thickness will change the burn rate.

Just like the tumbler media vibrates around and scrubs the brass through friction, the powder in the case vibrates around and rubs against each other.

Will it result in a dangerous load every time? No. But since we can't know when that one chance may occur, it isn't worth the risk.

I use Frankford Arsenal brass polish in my untreated media. It's ammonia free and can be used on a cloth for small jobs.

Unless your factory ammo is so cruddy it won't chamber properly, shoot them off and then clean them up good.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
SBH4628":1wndoeju said:
Sorry Dennis,Brasso contains ammonia,Breaks down brass....You could try Tarn-x if you just need pretty ammo.

Hi,

Not sure Brasso's gonna be a problem if used sparingly: methinks it's the old toxicologist's adage at work that a poison is defined not by the substance but the dosage. I've polished a lot of loaded rounds w/ brass polish and had no ill effects. Now if I SOAKED the brass in the polish, or polished the brass and came back in 50 yrs to examine it, I might have a different experience. Or opinion.

Back to Bruce's question, I wouldn't tumble loaded ammo, but many do w/ the same apparent lack of problems I've observed w/ brass polish! Moderation may well be the key to both approaches.

Rick C

tommyt

Bearcat
If you think vibrating live rounds hurts the integrity
Guess you think the start loading rounds after the GI's get out of the tank's ,Hummer's and all the other Troop Carrier's then they float the Powder in ,and use the Big Blue press while our men wait for their Fair share
So IMHO don't worry they been buzzed already

Tommyt

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
tommyt got that one right. The Air Force has been putting "factory loaded rounds in a vibrating shell tumbler" for years. They call it a C-130.

J Miller

Blackhawk
The ammunition factories tumble their ammo to clean it. I've picked media out of hollow points and primer edges many times.

I don't do it since if something unusual did happen I would have no control over it.
For sticky ammo, use the above solvents or break cleaner on a rag.

Don't forget to inhale deeply ........ whoooo hoooo ....

Just kidding,,, :wink:

Joe

I have never done it and don't plan to. If they need cleaning I would wipe them dowm with a rag and what ever seems to clean them up. Not sure what's on them to make em sticky
Maybe just a little warm water will do the trick. ps

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
powder smoke":21cqkcws said:
Not sure what's on them to make em sticky
Maybe just a little warm water will do the trick. ps

Hi,

Adding a little dishwashing liquid can do wonders, too. I first tried it when I read Lee suggest this method for getting their case lube off loaded rounds. Cleans well... though it doesn't polish anything.

Dawn's my favorite. I figured since rescuers use it to wash oily birds, it should be good enough for my uses... ;)

Rick C

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
Get yourself a Lee Cartridge length Gauge. Chuckthe collet in your cordless drill and lock in the round with the sticky stuff.
You know that green scotch brite scrubby pad in the kitchen? Yeah, use it while that sucker is spinning. It'll clean and polish those gummy rounds.

Remember! Buy your wife a new scrubby pad.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
As MM...AK said, I spin them with variable speed drill and Lee shell holder, and use Never Dull wool. A very small piece will clean many many a round. No dipping, pouring, messy liquids on the 'ole bench. I think I have gotten the old routine down to less than 10 secs a round. Now I do not reload hundreds of rounds at a time very often.

As for the question, seems like not such a great idea, maybe an OK idea, and because I can clean more faster my way, I do not do it. :wink: